Re: [tied] 'Can' as Past Tense (was: Bader's article on *-os(y)o)

  • enlil@glenhypermedia.com
    Message 1 of 99 , Jul 4, 2004
      Richard on the morphophonemic status of English "a":
      > It may not be a living process,

      Exactly. Now when you can identify exactly _what_ stage of the
      language between English and IE that "a" was ONLY due to
      morphological processes and NEVER found lexically in verbs, then
      let me know. Good luck in your search because such a thing is
      evidently (next-to-)impossible in a language.

      = gLeN
    • Exu Yangi
      Message 99 of 99 , Oct 1, 2004
        >From: Harald Hammarstr´┐Żm <haha2581@...>
        >
        > > It is a _fact_ that not one language has been identified by you or
        > > anyone showing an exclusive use of non-lexical vowels. Not one. It's
        > > also common sense that it would be practically impossible to do so.
        > >
        > > I'm being very generous in calling it a "rare" situation in order to
        > > leave possibility for such a language to exist. So far it actually
        > > doesn't appear to even exist.
        >
        >Apart from Caucasian languages, Jaqaru (in South America) is said to have
        >few vowels, and a non-semitic language Mulwi somewhere in Africa (I forget
        >where) as well. It might be worth checking them - unfortunately my library
        >(Gothenburg University) does not have the bibliographic resources for
        >those two lgs.
        >
        >/Harald

        Mulwi is a Chadic language (related to Mulgu, I believe) spoken in the aread
        south of Lake Chad.

        Now THERE's a wierd bit of knowledge ...