Re: The palatal sham :) (Re: [tied] Re: Albanian (1))

  • P&G
    Message 1 of 285 , Feb 10, 2004
      >If all Latin words with non-ablauting /a/ are borrowed, then all
      >Latin words with <ca-> are borrowed. But the occurrence of /a/ after
      >supposed plain velars in Latin was the main argument for the
      >existence of those plain velars in PIE! So:
      >Plain velars don't exist!

      (b) The main argument for the existence of plain velars in PIE is the
      correspondence:
      Centum /k/ ~ Satem /k/
      It has nothing to do with the vowel that follows.

      (a) A number of ca- words in Latin show an impeccable PIE pedigree, eg capio
      ~ Germanic have. Calens / Kalens ~ kaleo in Greek. canis ~ kuo:n in
      Greek. I don't think you can say all Latin words with <ca-> are borrowed!

      Peter
    • enlil@glenhypermedia.com
      Message 285 of 285 , Feb 29, 2004
        Torsten:
        > Another thing about Bomhard: how come there are no context-sensitive
        > palatalisations in his rules over several millenia, when Slavic alone
        > had three or four?

        In defense of Bomhard, I still think did a better job than
        anything else I've come across from the older works of IS or
        Dolg.

        I don't expect him to find all the rules at once but I do
        think that proper analysis of each individual language family
        is lacking in Nostratic. It's a large task to get very
        familiar and educated on more than one proto-language afterall.
        There's just so much to read. I'm still learning about crazy
        things in IE that throw me for a theoretical loop.

        > BTW Holger Pedersen has the same idea of breaking up all PIE
        > consonant clusters in a short remark about future trends (using
        > <deus> and <divus>, supposedly from *däjäwä-) in his History of
        > Linguistics in the 19th century. Cuny uses it too. (Written as
        > remembered!)

        But not for IE where *deiwo- or *dyeu- is reconstructed. These
        syllabics can only be reconstructed into a pre-IE stage.

        = gLeN