Re: The palatal sham :) (Re: [tied] Re: Albanian (1))

  • enlil@glenhypermedia.com
    Message 1 of 285 , Feb 1, 2004
      Peter:
      >>> My point was more that PIE /a/ seems to have a different function both
      >>> from /i,u/ and from /e,o/.
      >> What "different function"?
      >
      > /a/ just is. Whereas /e~o~zero/ correlates with certain grammatical forms
      > (eg /o/ in causatives, nouns).

      And why do you feel that there was no /a~o~zero/?

      > (b) an ablauting vowel with one of two different forms, if present: /e ~
      > o ~ zero/
      > (c) /a/.

      It seems like your entire basis for seperating *e and *o on the one hand
      and *a on the other is because of an assumption that *a doesn't partake in
      ablaut. Unless you can be sure of that, I'm not sure how you can justify
      making *a as "special" as you make it out to be.

      = gLeN
    • enlil@glenhypermedia.com
      Message 285 of 285 , Feb 29, 2004
        Torsten:
        > Another thing about Bomhard: how come there are no context-sensitive
        > palatalisations in his rules over several millenia, when Slavic alone
        > had three or four?

        In defense of Bomhard, I still think did a better job than
        anything else I've come across from the older works of IS or
        Dolg.

        I don't expect him to find all the rules at once but I do
        think that proper analysis of each individual language family
        is lacking in Nostratic. It's a large task to get very
        familiar and educated on more than one proto-language afterall.
        There's just so much to read. I'm still learning about crazy
        things in IE that throw me for a theoretical loop.

        > BTW Holger Pedersen has the same idea of breaking up all PIE
        > consonant clusters in a short remark about future trends (using
        > <deus> and <divus>, supposedly from *däjäwä-) in his History of
        > Linguistics in the 19th century. Cuny uses it too. (Written as
        > remembered!)

        But not for IE where *deiwo- or *dyeu- is reconstructed. These
        syllabics can only be reconstructed into a pre-IE stage.

        = gLeN