Re: The palatal sham :) (Re: [tied] Re: Albanian (1))

  • P&G
    Message 1 of 285 , Jan 31, 2004
      >>*ka- ..., /a/ is fully
      >>capable of disappearing in zero-grade forms

      Thanks for the examples. We can quibble over whether this makes /a/ "fully
      capable" of disappearing. It certainly does not seem to be as regular and
      patterned an alternation as the ablaut /e~o~zero/. But I'll accept that it
      is suggestive.

      Peter
    • enlil@glenhypermedia.com
      Message 285 of 285 , Feb 29, 2004
        Torsten:
        > Another thing about Bomhard: how come there are no context-sensitive
        > palatalisations in his rules over several millenia, when Slavic alone
        > had three or four?

        In defense of Bomhard, I still think did a better job than
        anything else I've come across from the older works of IS or
        Dolg.

        I don't expect him to find all the rules at once but I do
        think that proper analysis of each individual language family
        is lacking in Nostratic. It's a large task to get very
        familiar and educated on more than one proto-language afterall.
        There's just so much to read. I'm still learning about crazy
        things in IE that throw me for a theoretical loop.

        > BTW Holger Pedersen has the same idea of breaking up all PIE
        > consonant clusters in a short remark about future trends (using
        > <deus> and <divus>, supposedly from *däjäwä-) in his History of
        > Linguistics in the 19th century. Cuny uses it too. (Written as
        > remembered!)

        But not for IE where *deiwo- or *dyeu- is reconstructed. These
        syllabics can only be reconstructed into a pre-IE stage.

        = gLeN