Re: [tied] turkish

  • alex
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
      Piotr Gasiorowski wrote:
      > 31-12-03 15:50, alex wrote:
      >> does anyone has any idea about a good turkish-english online
      >> dictionary ?
      >> I tried to find out what the word "perçem" in Turkish means but I
      >> could not find any entry on the net.
      >
      > Try Ectaco:
      >
      > http://www.ectaco.com/online/
      >
      > (select "Turkish" from the menu)
      >
      > It's quite good as online dictionaries go. At any rate, you'll find
      > <perçem> there (translated as 'tuft; forelock; fringe; tag').
      >
      > Piotr

      thank you Piotr. I will make a fav. of this link.

      I wonder about "en" > "un" in this case. Rom. "perciune" = side whiskers
      is given as being a loan from Turkish.
      I wondered if this is indeed a loan from Turkish since the root appear
      to be "per-"= hair, at least in Rom. "pãr" = hair, "perie"=brush
      (brushes being made out of hair). The chnage e > ã and later ã > â (like
      in "nãpârli"= to loose hair) seems to be regular.
      Which should be the etymology of the Turkish word? Is this a loan from
      some IE language or properly Uralo-Altaic word?

      Alex