Re: [tied] turkish

  • Mate Kapovic
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "alex" <alxmoeller@...>
      To: <cybalist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 3:50 PM
      Subject: [tied] turkish

      > does anyone has any idea about a good turkish-english online dictionary
      > ?
      > I tried to find out what the word "perçem" in Turkish means but I could
      > not find any entry on the net.

      bang or tuft of hair...
    • alex
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
        Piotr Gasiorowski wrote:
        > 31-12-03 15:50, alex wrote:
        >> does anyone has any idea about a good turkish-english online
        >> dictionary ?
        >> I tried to find out what the word "perçem" in Turkish means but I
        >> could not find any entry on the net.
        >
        > Try Ectaco:
        >
        > http://www.ectaco.com/online/
        >
        > (select "Turkish" from the menu)
        >
        > It's quite good as online dictionaries go. At any rate, you'll find
        > <perçem> there (translated as 'tuft; forelock; fringe; tag').
        >
        > Piotr

        thank you Piotr. I will make a fav. of this link.

        I wonder about "en" > "un" in this case. Rom. "perciune" = side whiskers
        is given as being a loan from Turkish.
        I wondered if this is indeed a loan from Turkish since the root appear
        to be "per-"= hair, at least in Rom. "pãr" = hair, "perie"=brush
        (brushes being made out of hair). The chnage e > ã and later ã > â (like
        in "nãpârli"= to loose hair) seems to be regular.
        Which should be the etymology of the Turkish word? Is this a loan from
        some IE language or properly Uralo-Altaic word?

        Alex
      • alex
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
          Mate Kapovic wrote:
> [...]