PIE *wra:d- ‘branch, root’

  • Abdullah Konushevci
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2003
      wr.(h)d-ya, Greek <rhiza> `root', Alb. <rrânjë/rrënjë> `id.'
      If we agree that syllabic liquid /r./ in Albanian yields /ri/, until
      in Greek /ra/, than we have to find the phonological development of
      *wri(h)d-ya to Albanian <rrânjë/ rrënjë> `root'. I guess that this
      suffixed reduced form firs was nasalized in Proto-Albanian, getting
      the form *wri(h)nd-ya, following later intermediary forms: rrind-ya
      (through assimilation of cluster /wr/ > /rr/, cf. PIE *arwa: > Alb.
      arrë `nut, nut-tree')> rren(d)ya (due to iCC>eCC, cf. *bhendh- > Alb.
      bind, PIE *pezd > pith, etc. ) > rrânja/rrënja. The dropping of
      stops, in this case /d/, is regular in Proto-Albanian (cf. *odma >
      amë `smell').
      But, we have also form <rrânza/rrënza> `radicle' that testifies for
      evolution of /*dy/ > /z/.
      I believe that to this root is the origin of Alb. <rrem> `branch'
      from colored form *wraH2d-mi > rrami > rrem, through i-Umlaut and
      suffixed form <wraH2d-ake> `scull, ball of the head'. Other word
      <rrâzë/rrëzë> `bottom, foot of (a hill), probably from <rrânzë, I
      find as diminutive form.

      Any comments?

      Konushevci