Re: [tied] Timing of ablaut

  • P&G
    Message 1 of 76 , Sep 30, 2003
      >Brugmann's Law *is* correct, but I think you are making it correct
      >ad absurdum. .... if
      >the way the law was first formulated is defended at all costs as the
      >way it should be worded even in the present state of our knowledge,

      No. Again you are pretending I said something I did not say. "defended at
      all costs" is your language, not mine.

      Peter
    • Miguel Carrasquer
      Message 76 of 76 , Oct 5, 2003
        On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:03:19 +0100, P&G <petegray@...> wrote:

        >But what about the rather unlikely root *wortoko "quail" P1180 Skt vartaka-
        >(m) vartika: (f) ?

        Well, the forms adduced by Pokorny do not really justify a reconstruction
        *wortoko (vartaka-, vartika:, Grk. ortux). The quality of the second vowel
        is not clear.

        >And what of the Avestan gava "hands" Pok 403 (< *gow&)? I confess, I don't
        >even know if Brugmann's Law applies to Avestan.

        Yes, it does (but the picture is not as clear as in Sanskrit, given that
        etymological /a/ is sometimes written <a:> in Avestan, and etymological
        /a:/ sometimes as <a>). Avestan <gava> is a dual, so properly /gava:/ [an
        example of the ambiguity of Avestan spelling], presumably from *gowh2-oh3
        (closed syllable).

        >>If we look in Pokorny, we
        >>see no Indo-Iranian reflexes for ...
        >Nor for *kob fit, *gol branch, *k'olemos rod, *kol(e)y lime, *kom beside,
        >*log' rod
        >
        >>and we have only the
        >>closed-syllable variants of ...
        >And of *sol(e)wo safe (Skt sarva)

        Yes, but those are all examples of *o most likely _not_ to be from *h3e,
        and therefore complementary to the examples of *h3e that I was failing to
        find in Indo-Iranian.

        Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
        mcv@...