Re: [tied] Brugmann's Law

    Message 1 of 260 , Sep 30, 2003
      30-09-03 18:30, Miguel Carrasquer wrote:

      > What can we make of all of this?

      I think we should restrict ourselves, in the first place, to words
      meaning 'dew, moisture' or something not very different. Pokorny is
      excessively inclusive here. We should therefore begin with Lat.
      ro:s/ro:ris (m.), Balto-Slavic *rasa:, Old Indic rása- (m.) and rasá:-,
      the Indo-Iranian hydronym *rasa:-, leaving less certain material aside.
      A connection with *h1er-s- 'flow, run' is possible but somewhat
      speculative, whereas words meaning 'hate, anger' etc. had better be
      considered separately.

      > Some forms present rather clear evidence for a laryngeal [specifically,
      > *h2] in the root. We have *(h1)ró(:)h2s- (Latin ro:s, Alb. resh, Grk.
      > ero:e:), *(h1)ré:h2s- (Gmc. re:s > ra:s), *(h1)r&2s- (Grk. erao:, Gmc.
      > ras). The zero-grade form looks problematical (why *r&s- instead of
      > *r.:s-?), which may or may not be related to the question of whether the
      > root began with *r- or with *h1r-. Even if a zero grade *r&s- > *ras-
      > could explain Balto-Slavic *rasa:, that option is not available, I think,
      > for Sanskrit rasá:, rásas, because *&(1/2/3) in principle should have given
      > /i/ in Indo-Iranian (and *r.:s- > i:rs.- as in i:rs.yati).

      Agreed.

      > That would seem to leave metathesis (*roh2sah2 > *rosh2ah) as the only
      > possible, but unsatisfactory, explanation of the Sanskrit forms. Any
      > better suggestions?

      If this were indeed the only possible explanation, we'd have to treat it
      as satisfactory, but I can see other possibilities. The Latin noun is a
      consonantal stem, so the quantity surely requires no laryngeal
      explanation. All one needs is length generalised from the original
      nom.sg., as normally in Latin (<auro:ra>, <cruo:ris>, etc.). Perhaps
      <ro:s> is an old collective ~ mass noun related to *h1er-s-, which would
      allow us to posit an original paradigm like *h1ro:s, acc. *h1ros-m.,
      gen. *h1rés-(e)s (or the like).

      Now, Sanskrit has no Brugmannian length in nouns like <dáma-> 'house,
      home' and <mára-> 'death', where other branches point to *o. An
      otherwise invisible laryngeal suffix may often be the reason, as it
      certainly is in cases where the laryngeal manifests itself in some other
      way, cf. <rátha-> 'wagon, chariot' < *rót-h2-o-. This makes the analysis
      of <rása-> 'juice, liquid' as *h1rós-h2-o- a not unjustifiable
      possibility. At the very least, what works for <dáma-> ought to work for
      <rása-> as well. I'm not sure about the best derivation of <rasá:>
      'moisture'. It must be the same thing as BSl. *rasa:, so anything like
      *h1res-áh2 is ruled out. *h1ros-h2-áh2 looks cumbersome but may be the
      right solution (related to *h1ros-h2-o- like Lat. rota to Skt. rátha-?).

      Piotr
    • fournet.arnaud
      Message 260 of 260 , Jan 22, 2008
        This whole discussion is stinking an awful lot.
        Better be withdrawn.

        Normal human beings do not care about your *American*
        obsession about *black/white/other* purported **races**.
        Your **American** schizophrenic obsession about
        *sex* activity/desire* which you pathetically *need*
        to thrust on *other* people : I mean **French**.

        Please stop spreading *your* own *diseases*
        on the rest on mankind.

        You have already lost **moral** leadership.
        And it is no wonder why.

        Arnaud