[tied] Re: Ducks and Souls

    Message 1 of 115 , Sep 18, 2003
      The library wants the book back. I'll add Schrijver's examples in
      case someone wants to refer back to them

      > > These are Schriijver's examples:
      > > *mesVl-, *a-m(V)sl- "blackbird"
      Welsh mwyalch
      Latin merula
      OHG amsla, amasla, amisla, amusla
      OE o:sle

      > > *la&waD-, *a-lawD- "lark"
      OIce lævirki
      OE la:verce
      OHG le:rahha, le:rihha
      MDutch le:werke
      Finn leivo(nen)
      Gaulish in
      Latin alauda

      > > *raud-, *a-ru/id- "ore"
      Latin raudus "lump of ore"
      OHG aruz, ariz
      OSax arut
      Finn rauta
      NLapp ruow´de
      OIce raudhi
      cf PIE h1roudh- "red" ("copper-colored"?)

      > > *teroP, *a-str(a)P- "lightning, sulphur"
      Greek (à)steropé:, (à)strapé: "lightning"
      OIr straif, sraib "sulphur"

      Other examples:

      *kr&xar "heron"
      Welsh crehyr
      PGmc h(r)aiGar-
      Finn haikara

      *spra&w-
      Breton frao "crow, jackdaw"
      PGmc *spraiw- "starling"

      *ba&s "boar"
      Welsh baedd
      PGmc *baiza-

      > > "
      > > Most importantly, it had a prefix a-, which was probably stressed
      > and
      > > accompanied by syncope of vowels in the rest of the word;
      the language had fricatives such as x, D, and it had a diphthong
      alien to Germanic and Celtic, something like [a&], which was rendered
      as /a/ in British Celtic and /ai/ in Germanic.
      > > "
      > > But I suppose you could fix them all by adding a *h2- in front of
      > it.

      I just learned *anet- "duck" must have a sideform *anat- based on
      Swedish dialects, so I add it to the "language of bird names".

      There's a similar situation with the Old European toponymy language.
      It delivers many a's to PIE at a time when it had few.

      Torsten
    • George Stana
      Message 115 of 115 , Sep 25, 2003
        >And this is not the only one case. Take a look at "încua" which is
        >literary "incoa"( in this direction, to us, nearly, etc) which is the
        >oppositum of "incolo".

        But the supposed pronunciation [In-'kwa] is rather an auditive...
        illusion. If any, then they are individuals, and not groups sharing
        a subdialectal feature. Much the more, since in the areas where
        [a-'kwa-le] is strongly at home, the same people use an [O]
        - i.e. no diphtong, unlike in your region - in "încoa(ce)" [In-'kwO-tSe].

        So, rather [oa] than [wa].

        > For "aci" are several forms, the literar one being "aici", dialectaly
        > being used forms as "aci, acilea, cilea".

        Not only <aíci> [a-'itS], but also <ací> [a-'tSi] is standard official
        Romanian, unlike the regional + colloquial <acilea> and
        <acia> [a-'tSi-ja] (the latter being, I suppose, made of <aci> +
        <ia!> "look! ecce! ecco!").

        >It seems that the form "ici" ( selden used in expresion like
        >"ici,colo") is the Latin reflex like in French , Italian, etc.

        As though <aici> + <aci> weren't reflexes of the same kind. :))

        >Alex

        George