Re: [tied] to scream ( it was Re: Vampire)

  • alex
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2003
      tolgs001 wrote:
      >> Even I think that <strix> is a loan from Greek <strings> (cf.
      >> Divkovich, Latinsko-hrvatski rjecnik, Zagreb, 1900, pp. 1012),
      >>
      >> Konushevci
      >
      > The Latin-German dictionary, Der kleine Stowasser (1910-1971)
      > doesn't say <strix, strigis> is a loan, but only "compare" with...
      >
      > OTOH, is there any possibility that strix & strings are
      > related to Engl. shriek, skirl < Scand. skraella? And it must
      > be akin to Lat. vb. strideo (or strido), (stridere), stridi
      > (akin to Greek trixo). cf. strident.
      >
      > George

      it seems here we have again that funny "scri" > "stri" in a certain
      language and in a certain environment.
      Can it be a such coincidence? We have in Germanic: "schreien", English
      "scream" but Latin "strix", Rom. striga ( tematic conjugation strig(u),
      strigi, strigã).
      Since we know that in Rom there is sci=Sti it seems ver probable that
      the root was *scri-.
      Interesting , the "g" is found in teh Mhd "schri[g]er, thus one can
      almost safely assume the root was indeed *scrig-
      The point should be if the vowel there is indeed an "i" or an "e". Rom.
      Lang. request here an "i" because if there it should has been an "e" we
      should have had "strâga".

      Alex