PIE motherhood

  • lifeiscool86
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2003
      Is there any linguistic or archaeological evidence that the PIE
      women covered their heads? I've noticed many traditional European
      women, including in my own IE inheritance, wearing "veils" to cover
      their heads. I'm pretty sure, they had some marker to identify a
      married and unmarried woman. Now, I guess that it's nothing sexist
      or anything... I believe they did this the same way we do today. Men
      can't wear hats inside the house but women can. Well... not exactly
      all women, but mothers. IE society, as I believe, suggests that a
      father is the head of the household, but a mother is the neck (and
      the neck can turn the head wherever she wants). The real power in
      the household is the mother. She tended the hearth, makes sure it
      doesn't go out; spins her magic spells to her family's clothing etc.
      etc. Maidens were free to do as they wish, but when they became
      mothers, they must act as modestly as possible.
      Anyway, is there any linguistic/archaeological evidence to suggest
      this???

      Peace out,
      PHIL
    • Max Dashu
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 9:17 PM
        Re: [tied] PIE motherhood
        I am on my way out of town, but briefly, we have images of Hittite, Persian, Greek, Roman women wearing head veils and occasionally some of them with it drawn across faces. From (I think northern Italy, or maybe it's Slovenia) there are belt buckles circa 3000 years ago with bedroom scenes in which the woman is still wearing her veil, tho nothing else. In medieval times, it was still customary for married women to cover their heads, which could be abbreviated cap affairs or something that totally concealed the hair and sometimes even the neck.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • etherman23
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3 10:03 PM
          --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "lifeiscool86" <lifeiscool86@y...>
          wrote:
          > Is there any linguistic or archaeological evidence that the PIE
          > women covered their heads? I've noticed many traditional European
          > women, including in my own IE inheritance, wearing "veils" to cover
          > their heads.

          This might stem from one of Paul's epistles (I don't remember which
          one) where he explain why women should wear hats in church but men
          shouldn't (or something like that). This might be a Jewish or Roman
          custom that spread to other cultures.
        • wtsdv
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3 10:27 PM
            This is more of what I referred to in the other
            thread, Mediterranean/Middle-Eastern influence
            on the Indo-Europeans. It would be nice to sift
            the data and see just what originally belonged
            to the former, and what to the latter. Influence
            obviously came in stages, with Christianity being
            the most recent, and of greatest impact.

            David

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4 6:55 AM
              wrote:
              > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "lifeiscool86"
              <lifeiscool86@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Is there any linguistic or archaeological evidence that the PIE
              > > women covered their heads? I've noticed many traditional
              European
              > > women, including in my own IE inheritance, wearing "veils" to
              cover
              > > their heads.
              >
              > This might stem from one of Paul's epistles (I don't remember
              which
              > one) where he explain why women should wear hats in church but men
              > shouldn't (or something like that). This might be a Jewish or
              Roman
              > custom that spread to other cultures.

              What I meant for IE motherhood was something non-Mediteranean (in
              fact, Northern European) -- I was thinking it was special outlook on
              motherhood -- being a mother was a great priviledge (as well as
              responsibility!). A pre-Christian thing...