Re: [tied] Re: Crows and Garlands

    Message 1 of 203 , Aug 19, 2003
      19-08-03 20:14, alex wrote:

      > and which is the verb for the onomatopeea the raven makes? Every
      > language must ( I guess ) have a verb for this special sound make by
      > crows and raves.
      > In rom this is "a cronc√£ni".

      E.g. Polish <kruk> 'raven', <krakac'> 'croak (like a raven)'. English
      <croak> is of course onomatopoeic itself.

      Piotr
    • Jim Rader
      Message 203 of 203 , Aug 25, 2003
        > They are certainly rooks. Rooks are colonial and like to claim city
        > parks as their rookeries. Ravens, which are much bigger and to a
        > lesser extent synanthropic, live in small groups and prefer the
        > country. To be sure, most corvids are highly intelligent and
        > adaptable; I've seen ravens lunching on discarded sandwiches on the
        > Santa Monica beach, in perfect harmony with crowds of people. They
        > used to be rare or at least seclusive in Poland a few decades ago, but
        > are now expanding into suburban areas; I see them regularly on the
        > outskirts of Poznan. Not thousands of them, however, but from one to
        > half a dozen at a time. Sparrows are becoming rare in many European
        > cities for reasons that are not entirely clear. Corvids (especially
        > magpies) and cats have been blamed for the decline of the sparrow, but
        > it seems other factors are far more important:
        >
        > Piotr

        Ravens used to be rare in the eastern U.S. outside of wilderness areas
        of the north (Maine, New Hampshire, the Adirondack mountains of
        upstate New York--the only place I've seen them) and some parts of
        the Appalachian Mountains. But they've expanded their range over the
        last 30 years. They first bred in Massachusetts in 1981 and now
        they're quite findable if you know where to look. There are about 15
        breeding pairs in Connecticut, where they were unknown not long ago.
        But aside from diligent birdwatchers, I doubt that many Americans in
        the East have ever seen one.

        Curiously, there are no crows or similar large corvids in the Americas
        south of Nicaragua, though South America should provide excellent
        habitat for scavengers.

        Jim Rader