question

  • fortuna11111
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18 8:50 AM
      Is there any theory connected with a disappearing /s/ giving an e-
      coloring of the preceding vowel in a word? Just pondering over
      something I noted down long ago with several question marks to
      remind me it needs to be checked. Could that have anything to do
      with what Jens said long ago on the e/o, voiced/voiceless
      relationship?

      Eva
    • Miguel Carrasquer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21 5:11 AM
        On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:50:53 +0000, fortuna11111 <fortuna11111@...>
        wrote:

        >Is there any theory connected with a disappearing /s/ giving an e-
        >coloring of the preceding vowel in a word? Just pondering over
        >something I noted down long ago with several question marks to
        >remind me it needs to be checked. Could that have anything to do
        >with what Jens said long ago on the e/o, voiced/voiceless
        >relationship?

        I don't think what Jens says about the thematic vowel (/e/ before
        voiceless, /o/ before voiced) is connected with a disappearing /s/. We
        simply have */e/ before */s/, and */o/ before */z/ (where -z later becomes
        -s).

        On the other hand, Jens' theory about the nom.pl. *-es is indeed connected
        to a disappearing /s/ (or rather, a */z/). He can explain in more detail,
        but the gist of it is that */-es/ is derived from nom.sg. *-z + plural *-s,
        and subsequently **-zs > *-es.

        =======================
        Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
        mcv@...
      • Jens Elmegaard Rasmussen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24 6:14 AM
          On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Miguel Carrasquer wrote:

          > On the other hand, Jens' theory about the nom.pl. *-es is indeed
          > connected
          > to a disappearing /s/ (or rather, a */z/).  He can explain in more
          > detail,
          > but the gist of it is that */-es/ is derived from nom.sg. *-z + plural
          > *-s,
          > and subsequently **-zs > *-es.

          I couldn't say it better myself.

          Jens
        • alex
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2004
            I would like to ask Piotr and/or the other moderators of the list if
            the discution of the text from an inscription is the right place here
            (it is supposed from the first view of the text, the language used in
            inscription is an IE-language)language).
            The intended steps are:
            -presentation of the inscription in the original alphabet (as upload
            in file or an adress on the web)
            -establishing the phonetic value of the letters for being "converted"
            in the today usualy used latin letters for allowing us to discusse the
            text in an easier way.
            -split of the text in words
            -discussing the obtained text.
            -establishing to which group of IE languages belongs the language in
            discussion.

            Othere ideas for the way/steps how to decipher/work with the text
            should be highly appreciated as well.

            I ask it because I do not remember we have had here a such discussion
            until now. If this shouldn't be the right place for a such purpouse, I
            would like to ask the co-listers here for a suggestion about a group
            where a such discussion will be welcome.

            Alex