Re: [tied] irrelevence of race

  • ehlsmith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "tgpedersen" <tgpedersen@h...> wrote:

      > I read somewhere that some Native American tribes were highly
      > specialized (that would be genetically, you need enzymes
      (=proteins)
      > to digest) with respect to the food they ate, eg. including a
      > particular species of maize. And once they go off that food and
      start
      > on European food they go pop and get overweight, as many of them
      are
      > today. The only similar European example I can think of is the
      > inverse correlation between the length of time since agriculture
      was
      > introduced and the incidence of gluten intolerance in the
      population.

      I believe lactose tolerance in adults is another good example.

      > Also, it occured to me once, a type of resistance built in one
      group
      > of people might work enzyme-wise, thus genetically, in different
      > ways, if the groups were separate at the time they were exposed to
      > this new environmental factor. Which means that once they cross-
      > breed, even if both groups are resistant to a certain type
      > of 'potential poison', their offspring might not be (since not all
      > the genes required for the set of enzymes might have been
      > transmitted).

      A good point. There have been several good points re population
      genetics raised in the responses to the original question, but I
      think we should also bear in mind that genetic variation alone does
      not equate to the concept of racial types alluded to in that
      question. That concept relates specifically to genes which affect
      external appearance, and it is good to remember that there does not
      have to be a close correlation between the transmission of such genes
      and the transmission of genes for beneficial metabolic traits or
      disease resistance (unless the two sets of genes coincidently lie
      very close together on a chromosome, or if the beneficial trait also
      directly influences appearance too, e.g. light pigmentation to
      enhance vitamin D production).

      Ned Smith
    • Glen Gordon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
        Michael:
        >Why do some still think Indo-European Speakers="Caucasians". I still
        >come across this way of thinking in books, and it seems many still make
        >this connection.

        This is somewhat of a moot point. The use of the term "Caucasian" as
        a racial designation is completely meaningless and unscientific (despite
        its incessant use on American news, to my chagrin). In order to use it
        in an educated way, we must define accurately what "Caucasian" means.
        Well, if you've ever tried to narrow down what it means, you finally have
        to give up.

        All of us come from such diverse backgrounds that any racial term is
        evidently without logic. These terms are as subjective as colour terms.
        If you ask ten people what "indigo" looks like, you'll get ten different
        answers.

        If we want to know what the IEs might have looked like on a whole,
        again, we can't expect a singular group of people. Archaeology
        shows that the suspected area and timeframe of the Indo-European
        speaking population contained a fairly diverse group of people. Some
        of a Mediterranean type, others more related to Northern Europe.
        And, of course, don't forget the "Middle-Eastern" genes that entered
        Europe during the Neolithic (cf. Cavalli-Sforza). The XinJiang mummies
        whose ancestry has been traced back to the Black Sea would suggest
        that there were probably some IE speakers that were fair. But doubtful
        that they all were. The Eastern Mediterranean was highly cosmopolitan
        since the neolithic.

        - gLeN