Re: [tied] Nominative: A hybrid view

  • Miguel Carrasquer
    Message 1 of 164 , Jun 1, 2003
      On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 03:02:37 +0000, Glen Gordon
      <glengordon01@...> wrote:

      >Personally, I side with the consensus that the dual is a late
      >innovation that didn't have enough time to fully form in IE.
      >Since we can be sure based on a lot of evidence that the
      >Anatolian group branched out earlier than the others, its
      >lack of dual (among other things), indicates that the dual is
      >indeed a recent innovation.

      But does Anatolian lack a dual? Szemerényi mentions the Luwian duals

      =======================
      Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
      mcv@...
    • Harald Hammarstrom
      Message 164 of 164 , Jul 5, 2003
        > Glen might want fifty examples (and once he gets them, he'll want
        > seventy); Popper needs only one example to falsify a claim that such
        > an alternation doesn't exist anywhere. Let's just restrict ourselves
        > to Swedish: older Swedish still has 'dem' (oblique; presumably
        > alternating with unstressed 'd&m'); modern Swedish has 'dom'
        > (nominative and oblique; presumably still alternating with
        > unstressed 'd&m'; my Sprachgefühl is shaky here).

        My Swedish Sprachgefuhl says I never pronounce dom with a schwa
        even in unstressed positions (it's shot [o] all the time). I don't know
        any dialects that do either.

        best wishes,

        Harald