Orpheus

  • alex_lycos
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2003
      In Greek mythology Orpheus was a poet and musician who went to the
      underworld to retrieve his dead wife Eurydice. He succeeded in charming
      Hades with his lyre, and he was allowed to lead his wife out of the
      underworld on the condition that he not look back at her until they
      reached the surface. Unfortunately, just before they arrived his love
      for her overcame his will and he glanced back at her, causing her to be
      drawn back to Hades.

      I was intrigued about the etymology of the word and I found as follow:
      Perhaps related to Greek orphne meaning "the darkness of night".
      Is the latin "orbus" a loan from Greek or a properly evolution from PIE?