Re: [tied] Re: Ardagast/Radogost

  • alex_lycos
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
      Piotr Gasiorowski wrote:
> [...]

      Doesn't Tacitus call "spear" other way? I think now at the word used by
      Tacitus: framee
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
          Abdullah Konushevci wrote:
          > Radogosh is also an place name in Albania and it seems closely
          > connected to metathetic form Ardagast. So, for my opinion, it could
          > also segmented as ard- (Celt. hill) + -ag (*ag 'road') and well-
          > known suffix -ast. The Celtic root is well attested in many place
          > names: Arduba in Illyria (cf. Korduba in Spain), Ardenica in Albania
          > with microtoponym The Hills of Ardenica, etc. The second element is
          > PIE root *ag- "to lead" in o grade *og- derived in Albanian
          > udhë 'road' (cf. përudhë 'to show the way to') attested in place
          > name Hogosht, characteristic aspiration of first wovel in Albanian,
          > besides Serbian form Ogosht. That one leader could gets name from a
          > place name, when he had won a battle, it's well-known fact etc
          >
          > Regards,
          > Konushevci
          > ************

          I will put here Ardeal in Romania. I allways asked myaslef which a
          connection should be between celto-iberic "duba" and thracian
          "daba/dava", as well as the iberic-italic "bria" and thracian "bria".
        • João Simões Lopes Filho
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
            OHG Ge:rberaht (Gerbert), Ge:rbald (Italian Garibaldi), Ge:rwalt (Gerald) OE
            Ga:rwin, Ga:rwig (Garry, Gary), Ga:rweald (Gerald), ON Geirrödr

            Joao SL
            > > Doesn't Tacitus call "spear" other way? I think now at the word used by
            > > Tacitus: framee
            >
            > <framea>, to be precise. However, the generic word for 'spear' was *gaiza-
            (OE ga:r, ON geirr), related to Celtic *gaiso- (hence Lat. gaesum and Gk.
            gaison, both borrowed from Gaulish). It was a popular onomastic element.
            There are numerous Germanic names with *-gaiza- (= Eng. -gar) as the second
            component, and quite a few beginning with it.

            > Piotr

          • Brian M. Scott
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
              At 7:11:05 PM on Tuesday, April 1, 2003, João Simões Lopes
              Filho wrote:

              > OHG Ge:rberaht (Gerbert), Ge:rbald (Italian Garibaldi),
              > Ge:rwalt (Gerald) OE Ga:rwin,

              <Ga:rwine>

              > Ga:rwig (Garry, Gary), Ga:rweald (Gerald), ON Geirrödr

              Modern English <Gerald> is from the Continental Gmc. name;
              OE <Ga:rweald> is very poorly attested. I've found no
              instance of OE <Ga:rwi:g>; <Gar(r)y> is probably a
              transferred surname derived from one of the Cont. Gmc. names
              in <Ge:r->, most likely <Gerald> or <Gerard>, which tended
              to be confused in medieval England. (Both were also
              simplified to <Garrat> and the like.)

              Brian