[cybalist] Re: Horse and dog sacrifice

  • Glen Gordon
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2000
      John:
      >At Kobystan in the Eastern Caucas[u]s, there is a cultural link >between
      >Zarzian and the Pontic mesolithic from which IE eventually >developed.

      Seems so very unlikely to me. If this is the same cultural link that I just
      examined in more detail in Malloy's "In Search of IndoEuropeans" around 7000
      BCE or so (a link between round pot styles and a possible source of goats
      and agriculture in the Eatern Pontic), then I can't agree that these were
      the IE speakers.

      As I'm trying to get a further handle on archaeology, here's a different
      scenario that I'm currently trying to develop further. Note my ideas have
      changed somewhat and I no longer associate Tyrrhenian with Kurgan I which
      does appear mostly IE to me now.

      There were, as Bomhard suspects, Caucasian-speakers (specifically Pre-NWC)
      in the area before the arrival of the IE, spreading northward from the
      Caucasus towards the northeast shores of the Black Sea around 7000 BCE. I
      presume they were taking advantage of the better post-Ice-Age climate.
      Pre-NWC speakers were the first to bring agriculture to the eastern Pontic
      and one would assume that they would have been the source of many IE
      terms... but...

      By 6000 BCE, a Semitic speaking group was inching out of Anatolia into
      Europe on the other side of the Black Sea with their own agriculture and
      further spreading into the North Pontic.

      At around 6000 to 5500 BCE, speakers of Old to Middle IE arrived into an
      area already occupied by a group of Semitic-speakers. Due to this prevailing
      Semitic language, agricultural terms and items were adopted from them in the
      Western Pontic and these terms would persist as IE-speakers spread eastwards
      into further NWC territory, pushing that language back towards the Caucasus.

      Oh, the Tyrrhenian-speakers, by the way, must have been further north and
      west than the core IE homeland in NorthWest/Central Pontic. Tyrrhenian might
      have spread into the Balkans from the north with seperate contacts with the
      same Semitic language than IE (no across-the-Black-Sea theory necessary),
      positioning it amidst the spread of agriculture into Europe. Also, IE would
      not have interacted directly with Uralic except via hitherto unidentified
      IndoTyrrhenian dialects until Satem IE dialects, spreading east, and
      FinnoUgric, spreading south, came together.

      It's a thought (but then thoughts seem to get me into trouble in this
      brainless world. Oops, see that? There I go again...)

      - gLeN