RE: Two questions

  • S & L
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2003
      Personally, I would take with high precaution everything that is available
      at Corvinus Library due the fact that you are dealing mainly with folk tales
      of nationalistic histories having propagandistic purposes.

      S o r i n
      non-expert
      half Hungarian/mother & half Romanian/father
      living in Banat

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2003
        "alex_lycos" <altamix@...> March 01, 2003
        Subject: Re: [tied] RE: Two questions
        As far I know, Prophyrogenitus wrote about everything within Empire in his
        work, about folks and stuff.

        "The information assembled in the De Administrando Imperio has been gathered
        at different dates from different sources, and the product is not a book in
        which the materials have been digested and co-coordinated by an author; it
        is a collection of files which have been edited only perfunctorily." [Arnold
        Toynbee, "Constantine Porphyrogenitus and his World", 1973, page 465].
        Similar criticisms had been voiced earlier by J.B. Bury [in Byzantinische
        Zeitschrift, XIV, pages 511-570], and by C.A. Macartney, trying to sort out
        Constantine's contradictory statements about the Magyar migrations: "...We
        shall do well to remember the composition of the De Administrando Imperio -a
        series of notes from the most various sources, often duplicating one
        another, often contradicting one another, and tacked together with the
        roughest of editing" [C.A. Macartney, "The Magyars in the Ninth Century",
        Cambrige, 1930, page 98].

        Another remark that should be made is regarding to the translation/editor &
        translator(s) of the original greek text of "De Administrando Imperio"
        [Constantine Porphirogenitus, “De Administrando Imperio”, edited by Gyula
        Moravcsik, translated by Romilly J. H. Jenkins, Dumbarton Oaks Texts (Corpus
        Fontium Historiae Byzantinae), 1967, 354 pages, ISBN: 0-88402-021-5; Book
        Code: MODA].
        This involve the city of BEOGRAD quoted in the translation as one of the
        croat cities because the greek word "BELIGRADON" has been translated as
        "BELGRADE". All the cities quoted as croat cities in DAI are grouped along
        the Adriatic coast [N of Split, towards Istria]. There exists another city
        of the similar name / BIOGRAD, today BIOGRAD NA MORU / that is located near
        the Adriatic coast, in close proximity to these croat cities. So, the greek
        word "BELIGRADON" was wrongly translated as "BELGRADE" [today Beograd]
        rather than "BIOGRAD". Personally, I think that there can be 2 explanations:
        -the translator(s) was not aware of the existence of this smaller Biograd
        and did a mistake;
        -the translator(s) have purposely provided a less probable translation [due
        political reasons?].

        S o r i n
        keeping an open mind
      • tgpedersen <tgpedersen@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2003
          --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel J. Milton <dmilt1896@a...>"
          <dmilt1896@a...> wrote:
          A challenge for our Latinists: Abdullah says he made a lapsus
          > calami for "strangler". I don't believe his reed pen slipped -- I
          > think he hit the keys on his keyboard wrongly. Can we come up with
          > up-to-date term in proper Latin?
          > Dan

          typo, -nis f. 3