Re: [tied] Jupiter

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2003
      From: "alex_lycos" <altamix@...>
      To: <cybalist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2003 10:37 AM
      Subject: [tied] Jupiter

      > Jupiter = Jovis = *deiwos.

      No. *deiwos produced Latin di:vus/deus. We only get initial /j/ from the cluster /dj/ in some case forms of the noun *d[i]je:us

      > Which should be the language which palatalised the root *deiwos for making a "j" of it and giving the romans the Jovis pater which became Juppiter? Was it a Italic language? If yes, which one?

      This must have happened in most of Italic, including Latin (OLat. diovis > iovis, *diovilios > iulius, Oscan diuvilam > íuvilam, Umbrian iupater, iuvepatre). The <iu-> in <iuppiter>/<iu:piter> is the old vocative *djeu.