Ossetic, participle

  • tgpedersen <tgpedersen@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2003
      Skating the net, I came across the fact that "Middle-Iranian"
      (including Parthian) had replaced the complicated inherited IE tense
      system with one based on composite tenses using the old past
      participle in -ta. Now that sounded very much to me like that which
      is the case in the Romance/Germanic Sprachbund (if one wants to argue
      for such a thing). As far as I know the composite past tenses using
      the old -t- participles of Romance and Germanic can't be traced to
      either of their ancestors, so I thought: perhaps from Alanic? Which
      brings me to the question: Does Ossetic fit the above description of
      Middle Iranian w.r.t. past tenses (I can't find it on the net)?