[cybalist] Re: Odp: The Gender of the Sun.

  • Sergejus Tarasovas
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 29, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Piotr Gasiorowski [mailto:gpiotr@...]
      Sent: Monday, February 28, 2000 1:54 PM
      To: cybalist@egroups.com
      Subject: [cybalist] Re: Odp: The Gender of the Sun.

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2000 9:00 PM
      Subject: [cybalist] Re: The Gender of the Sun.

      "christopher gwinn" <sonno-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/cybalist/?start=388
      > junkWe have several parallels to the Vedic figures Surya and Surya'
      (long -A- - a feminine ending): The feminine Surya' is notable for
      being involved with divine twins and horsemen, the Asvins.

      > In Baltic myth, you have Saule - who is  a masculine sun - and
      "Saule's daughter" who is involved with the  twin "Sons of God" (Dievas
      Deli)
      > who seem to be cognate with the Vedic Asvins.

      Saule by no means is masculine just because it's ending, e: (e with a
      dot in Lithuanian script)<*ia:, indicates the feminine gender. Maybe
      your source provided you with an incorrect spelling?

      >   What I find interesting is what grammatical gender it takes in the
      daughter languages. In Germanic, it's feminine, and  she  is
      personified as a goddess; compare this to Greek and  Latin-Romance
      where it's masculine and  he  is personified as a god. Indo-Iranian has
      mixed evidence; it's either neuter or masculine. In Old Church
      Slavonic, it's neuter; I don't know about the other Slavic languages,
      but suspect this is the case too.

      The cause of such a neutrality in OChS (as well as in other Slavic
      languages as well) is an innovation - an old word of the stem *soln-
      was suffixed with an -ik-o to form a diminutive of the neuter gender
      (and the root was weakened to *s@l-). It seemes the gender of the
      original word is not known.

      Judging from its heteroclitic behaviour, the SUN stem may well have been an original neuter which could become animate (and adapted accordingly) when personified. BTW it's neuter throughout Slavic, but its form (especially the accentuation) suggests *sul-n-iko- or *sl:n-iko (the comparative evidence favours the former), rather than a short syllabic liquid (if that's what *s@l- amounts to). Something like *seHwl-/*sHwel-/*s(H)ul- seems to be a reasonable bottom-line reconstruction. If you feel so inclined you may browse through our early postings to find some more comments on the SUN word; the one you cite was not the only one.

      Piotr
       Placing this rather ugly hieroglyph here, I meant just a normalized Late Common Slavic *ъl, whatever pre-Slavic phoneme (ul or syllabic l/l:) it reflexes. To be sincere, accentuation is not my strong point :), and the statement that it suggests ul or long l sounds intriguing. Could you clarify this point to me?

      Sergei