new member

  • Andy_Howey
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hello, all:

      My name is Andy Howey. I live in California. My native language is
      English, but I am fairly accomplished in German and Russian, with
      some limited ability in Dutch, and passive listening comprehension of
      several Slavic languages, especially Czech and, as it was known at
      the time (early 80's), Serbo-Croatian.

      My interests are Old Prussian, Old Church Slavonic, and whatever I
      can find out about the early Germanic languages.

      I was going through the web site for cybalist, and was checking out
      the links. There was one that claimed to be the homepage for this
      forum, and it went to http://www.indoeuropean.net When I clicked on
      it, I was directed to a porn site. Is there some sort of mistake
      with this link. Was it at one time a legitimate URL for this list,
      or did somebody put there as a joke? Just curious.

      Take care:

      Andy Howey
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2002
        Hi, Andy,

        Welcome to the list. I'm sorry about the porn link, which does look
        like a bad joke. Unfortunately, we can't do anything about it. The
        URL now taken over by the porn business used to belong to a real Indo-
        European Database, also owned by Cyril. It still exists at a
        different address:

        http://www.geocities.com/indoeurop/index8.html

        Cybalist (short for CYril BAbaev's LIST) was started in spring 1999
        by Cyril Babaev, who remains its owner and the only person authorised
        to change the general settings of the front page (and to remove the
        link in question). For reasons unknown to me Cyril has not been
        active on the list for a long time. At one point in the past he
        appointed me as the list's co-moderator. This means that I can handle
        some of the administrative problems but have only partial control of
        the settings.

        I'm not very happy with the present situation; it's like having to
        skipper a ship with a jammed rudder. One possible solution would be
        to establish a new list and start from scratch, but I'd hate to go
        that far. Cybalist is a large and thriving forum (387 members at the
        moment, and with a tendency to grow) with a huge archive (almost 17
        thousand messages), and it has its circle of fans who would probably
        be sorry to see its traditions disrupted. Any ideas concerning the
        improvement of the list's administration and the solution of
        practical problems (like that embarrassing link) are welcome.

        Regards,

        Piotr Gasiorowski, the acting moderator
        http://www.geocities.com/caraculiambro/
        http://elex.amu.edu.pl/ifa/staff/gasiorowski.html

        --- In cybalist@y..., "Andy_Howey" <andyandmae_howey@s...> wrote:
        > Hello, all:
        >
        > My name is Andy Howey. I live in California. My native language
        is
        > English, but I am fairly accomplished in German and Russian, with
        > some limited ability in Dutch, and passive listening comprehension
        of
        > several Slavic languages, especially Czech and, as it was known at
        > the time (early 80's), Serbo-Croatian.
        >
        > My interests are Old Prussian, Old Church Slavonic, and whatever I
        > can find out about the early Germanic languages.
        >
        > I was going through the web site for cybalist, and was checking out
        > the links. There was one that claimed to be the homepage for this
        > forum, and it went to http://www.indoeuropean.net When I clicked
        on
        > it, I was directed to a porn site. Is there some sort of mistake
        > with this link. Was it at one time a legitimate URL for this list,
        > or did somebody put there as a joke? Just curious.
        >
        > Take care:
        >
        > Andy Howey
      • Richard Wordingham
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2002
          --- In cybalist@y..., "Piotr Gasiorowski" <piotr.gasiorowski@i...>
          wrote:
          > The
          > URL now taken over by the porn business used to belong to a real
          Indo-
          > European Database, also owned by Cyril. It still exists at a
          > different address:
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/indoeurop/index8.html

          There is a very similar version at

          http://indoeuro.bizland.com/index8.html