Re: [tied] Re: OE *picga

  • João Simões Lopes Filho
    Message 1 of 161 , Nov 6, 2002
      Slavic vrana has Baltic cognates, hasn' t it?

      There was a lot of onomatopeic roots for corvids, usually KR, GR.

      *ker-u [raven] Latin corvus,  OIrl cru Grk koro:nos (raven),koro:nis (crow) Sanskrit kros.a [raven] ON hraukr [cormorant] Lithuanian krauklys Sanskrit ka:ravah [crow, "ka-doer"] Germanic hrabnaz [raven] (*krobHono-, krogWHono-, krokWono- ?)

      *ker-n [crow?] Latin cornix Umbrian curnaco Greek korax[raven] Sanskrit kâravah?

      *gWra:k- [crow] Latin gracus (diminutive gracula > Portuguese gralha) OIrl bran Germanic *krahwi- ON kraukr Russian grac^ki

      *k^work- [crow, magpie] Albanian sorë [<*sarkë , crow] Lithuanoan sarka [magpie] = OSl sraka

      Joao SL

      Rio

      Message 161 of 161 , Mar 9, 2012
        W dniu 2012-03-09 02:30, Rick McCallister pisze:
        > There is a Serbian name Nebozho (sp?) "fearless" that my Serbian friends
        > claim is linked to Boris. Is this true or just folk etymology?

        Don't they mean Nebojs^a? It's the diminutive of *nebojI, nothing to do
        with Boris. Many sources give it's meaning as 'fearless' (from *bojati
        seN 'fear, be scared'), though I have doubts about it, as the element
        *-bojI in personal names is normally identical with the appellative
        *bojI 'battle, fight' (from *biti 'beat'). If so, the actual meaning
        would be 'no-fight' (a bahuvrihi for 'one who doesn't fight, a peaceful
        one').