Re: [tied] Ovid

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2002
      folk < PGmc. fulka- , probably from the root *plh1- (as in 'full') plus an extension (*plh1gom), or a compound like *plh1-h2g^om. No connection with the Volcae is possible. Slavic *pUlkU and Lith. pulkas are loans from Germanic (with /p/ substituted for *f in languages that lacked phonemic /f/). As you can see, they are quite different from the Vlakh word.

      Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 7:35 PM
      Subject: Re: [tied] Ovid

      [Moeller] I ask myself which is the ethymology for folk now in english and volk in German. They looks more appropiate with "volcae" as wallon, wlesh or wallahian.
    • alexmoeller@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2002