Re: [tied] Colchis

  • george knysh
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2002
      --- alexmoeller@... wrote:
      the country
      > called
      > "Colchis" appers to be sittuated at the downside of
      > the Ister.
      > I will give some references here:
      > Apollodori, Apolloni Rhodii, Ed. Didot 1878
      > Orpheus - Argonautica, Ed. Schneider, Jenae 1803
      > Diodori Siculi lib. IV c. 40
      > Philostephani Cyrennei fragmentum 37 in Fragm. Hist.
      > graec.
      > Vol. III ( Edit. Didot), page 34
      > Even Strabon, Plinius make the same mention,
      > lalizing Colchis
      > in that region and not in the today Caucasus.
      > Strabon Geographia lib. I 2.39
      > Plinius H. N. lib. XXXIII, 15

      *****GK: I would advise you to check these references
      carefully. Pliny, for instance, makes no such claim in
      the context you cite. We have Strabo and Diodorus here
      so I can verify this at the next opportunity. But
      really you should do this yourself, given the
      incorrect claim re Pliny.*****

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • alexmoeller@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
          > > carefully. Pliny, for instance, makes no such
          > claim in
          > > the context you cite. We have Strabo and Diodorus
          > here
          > > so I can verify this at the next opportunity. But
          > > really you should do this yourself, given the
          > > incorrect claim re Pliny.*****
          >

          > [Moeller] I have no ideea what you was looking for.

          **********!!!!!!!!!GK:
          HERE IS "what you (me) was looking for":

          To cite you again:
          --- alexmoeller@... wrote:
          the country
          > called
          > "Colchis" appers to be sittuated at the downside of
          > the Ister.
          > I will give some references here:
          > Apollodori, /etc/cut for economy GK/
          > Even Strabon, Plinius make the same mention,
          > lalizing Colchis
          > in that region and not in the today Caucasus.
          > Strabon Geographia lib. I 2.39
          > Plinius H. N. lib. XXXIII, 15

          Now to any normal reader of English you are making a
          claim here that Pliny, in the context cited by you, is
          offering evidence to back up your notion that
          "Colchis" is located in the area of the Carpathians
          rather than in that of the Caucasus. A normal reaction
          is to verify your claim. This is done. You are advised
          that there is no such statement in Pliny. To which you
          respond as above...
          My dear Alex, this will terminate our verbal
          interplays. I do not wish to be rude and suggest that
          there is something wrong with your thought processes.
          But you have been on cybalist for quite a while now,
          and should make an elementary effort to improve your
          capacity to express yourself and to be properly
          understood in the language of your choice. Until you
          do that I will take no further notice of your
          garbles.******

          > Plinius
          > tells there about the king of colchis "Aethis" and
          > describe
          > the richness of his palast.

          *****GK Exactly! So why did you advance this passage
          as "proof" of your "theory" about a Carpathian
          Colchis?*******

          Are you looking for the
          > geografical coordinate of them? If so, you have to
          > look at
          > Plinius ( you have it) in VI 11.1 There you will
          > find the
          > colchi situed between Ripheis and Ceraunii Montains.
          > The same
          > location is to find by Mela (I. 19)

          ******GK Exactly! And this locates Colchis where it
          really is, in the Caucasus area, not near the
          Carpathians.

          PLEASE TRY TO BE MORE RESPONSIBLE. AND FOR GOD'S SAKE
          GET A BETTER GRIP ON THE LANGUAGE!!!

          http://finance.yahoo.com