Re: the slavic influence in Balcans

    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 3, 2002
      --- In cybalist@y..., Miguel Carrasquer <mcv@w...> wrote:
      > On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 13:40:42 +0200, alexmoeller@t... wrote:
      >
      > >the argument is weak indeed, but it doesnt change the situation too
      > >much. If we take the old slavic word "trUgU" we have corespondents
      > >without metathesis in baltic langauges too , in sweden too, so it
      seems
      > >it is not a specificaly balcanic this word and I dubt the baltic
      and the
      > >sweden got it from slavs too.
      > >But because this word is to find on such a big area , I dont see
      why the
      > >rumanians and albanians to get it from slavs. Due the fact the
      slavs are
      > >coming almost at last in the histroy, it seems more probable they
      > >borrowed it from somewhere else.
      >
      > In Carl Darling Buck's dictionary, Rom. târg (tîrg), Swe. torg, Dan.
      > torv, Lith. turgus and Latv. tirgus are explained as borrowings from
      > Slavic (Russian, Bulgarian) *trgU. About OCS trUgU, S-C trg, Cze.
      > trh, Pol. targ and Russ. torg (there is in fact no metathesis in the
      > Slavic word, merely different developments of syllabic *r.), it is
      > said: "either cognate with or loanword fr[om] the Illyrian word
      which
      > is the source of the name Tergeste (= Triest)".
      >
      > =======================
      > Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
      > mcv@w...

      Isn't the -este ending the one Albanian Illyricists used to claim for
      proto-Albanian (thus: Illyrian), proving that Albanians used to
      inhabit a much larger area than today (Bucur-esti, etc)? But if
      Albanian is really neo-Thracian, might *terg- not be Thracian (or a
      loan-word into that language)?
      The distribution seems to fit nicely with my Tauri-Taurisci-
      (Thuringia-)Scandinavia idea. Contemporary Roman writers tell us that
      before the Varro disaster in 9 CE, the Germani were beginning to
      learn the idea of going to markets.
      Didn't BTW Trieste use to be the port of Vienna, thus also once of
      the export route to Germania?

      Torsten
    • richardwordingham
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 28, 2002
        --- In cybalist@y..., "richardwordingham" <richard.wordingham@m...>
        wrote:
        > Languages also undergo sporadic sound changes. For example, the
        > change of intervocalic dH to Latin b referred to above, in detail
        the
        > process dH > *θ > *ð > *v > b (or dH > *θ > *f > *v > b -
        is ther=
        > any evidence to tell between them?), where *v is NOT the sound
        > written <v> in Latin, did not always occur. There are instance
        where
        > the change went dH > *θ > *ð > d, i.e. the change from dental
        > fricative to labial fricative was not universal intervocally.

        change *ð > *v (v = fricative that became b) was not sporadic but
        conditioned.

        Richard.