the slavic influence in Balcans

  • altamix
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 31, 2002
      From Micklosich untill today, it is genarally assumed the south slavs
      influenced a lot the populations in Balcans.
      It seems this point of view is properly wrong and I should try to
      explain why.
      The influence of the slavs is supposed to be very big on romanians
      and albanians.
      The problem is, the romanians and albanians words considered to be
      slavs show a fonological pattern of medio-bulgarian and not a pattern
      of the paleoslav language.But we can speak about medio-bulgarian just
      with the begin of the X century.
      A such big influence of medio-bulgars into romanian and albanian in
      the X century is practicaly imposible. It should be possible just if
      a very big number of medio-bulgars could live with the romanians and
      albanians and so a such influence could validate the influence of the
      medio-bulgarians over all romanians and albanians dialects .But, how
      I said, in the X century this is impossible to be true and the
      archeologiy ( at the time as Miklosich wrote the archeology was as
      well as non existent) shows a very few slavs traces in the
      theritories of old Dacia.
      The slavists ommited to see that the words which are to be found in
      bulgarian, albanian and rumanian have a similar pattern in albanian
      and rumanian but a particulary slav pattern in bulgarian. The best
      example here is the methathesis of the liquids "r" and "l" like in
      bulgarian blato rom=balta:, alb=balte:, bulg. dlato rom dalta:, alb.
      dalte:, where a: in rom. and e: in alb. have the same value. An
      another argumentum is that the most of these so called slav words are
      not to find in all slavs langauges, but in the south slavic
      languages, languages which lived with the ancestors of albanians and
      rumanians.
      In this case the only one possiblity is that they are not properly
      slavs words and there is not the "big slav influence" but, we have a
      big thraco-illirian influence on the south slavs, untill now, having
      a big mistake about the influence of the slavic language and in the
      same time a deconsideration of the old thracian- illirians dialects.

      best regards

      a. moeller
    • richardwordingham
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 28, 2002
        --- In cybalist@y..., "richardwordingham" <richard.wordingham@m...>
        wrote:
        > Languages also undergo sporadic sound changes. For example, the
        > change of intervocalic dH to Latin b referred to above, in detail
        the
        > process dH > *θ > *ð > *v > b (or dH > *θ > *f > *v > b -
        is ther=
        > any evidence to tell between them?), where *v is NOT the sound
        > written <v> in Latin, did not always occur. There are instance
        where
        > the change went dH > *θ > *ð > d, i.e. the change from dental
        > fricative to labial fricative was not universal intervocally.

        change *ð > *v (v = fricative that became b) was not sporadic but
        conditioned.

        Richard.