Samudra and Rigveda

  • vishalsagarwal
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2002
      Dear List members,

      A rejoinder to Professor Witzel's article '"A Maritime Rigveda? How
      not to read the Ancient Texts" (The Hindu, 25 June 2002) has been now
      published by Sri David Frawley.

      The title of the rejoinder is "WITZEL'S VANISHING OCEAN – HOW TO READ
      VEDIC TEXTS ANY WAY YOU LIKE" and it is available at

      1. HTML version

      http://www.bharatvani.org/davidfrawley/ReplytoWitzel.html

      2. Downloadable Word document (29 pages long) at

      http://www.bharatvani.org/davidfrawley/ReplytoWitzel.doc

      The article has a long appendix, which is chapter VIII of his recent
      book "Rigveda and the History of India".

      Sincerely,

      Vishal Agarwal
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2002
        --- In cybalist@y..., "vishalsagarwal" <vishalagarwal@h...> wrote:
        > Dear List members,
        >
        > A rejoinder to Professor Witzel's article '"A Maritime Rigveda? How
        > not to read the Ancient Texts" (The Hindu, 25 June 2002) has been
        now
        > published by Sri David Frawley.
        >
        > The title of the rejoinder is "WITZEL'S VANISHING OCEAN – HOW TO
        READ
        > VEDIC TEXTS ANY WAY YOU LIKE" and it is available at
        >
        > 1. HTML version
        >
        > http://www.bharatvani.org/davidfrawley/ReplytoWitzel.html
        >
        > 2. Downloadable Word document (29 pages long) at
        >
        > http://www.bharatvani.org/davidfrawley/ReplytoWitzel.doc
        >
        > The article has a long appendix, which is chapter VIII of his
        recent
        > book "Rigveda and the History of India".
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Vishal Agarwal

        From the recesses of my memory comes Paul Benedict: Proto-Austronesian
        (?)(-Austric?): *boRats- "rice" (-> Sanskrit <vrihi> "rice") Please
        don't kill me for any inaccuracies, I can't locate a reference now.
        Bur compare this to various glosses in

        http://www.angelfire.com/rant/tgpedersen/Opr.html

        among them:

        "
        HSED 224:
        *bar-/*bur- "grain, cereal" Semitic

        *barr-/*burr- Semitic
        burru "cereal" Akkadian
        bar "cereal" Hebrew
        ba:r "cereal" Hebrew
        burr- "wheat" Arabic
        br "wheat" South Arabian
        bor "wheat" Soqotri
        barr "wheat" Mehri
        barr "wheat" S^h.eri

        *bVr- Berber
        a-Bar-&n "flour" Ghadames
        &Br-u:n "sorghum" Awjila
        a-bora "sorghum" Ayr
        a-bo:ra "sorghum" Ahaggar
        a-bo:ra "sorghum" Tawlemmet
        bu:ru "bread" Zenaga

        *bar-/*bur- West Chadic
        biri "kind of flour" Hausa
        with assimilation of vowels >
        buri "kind of flour" Hausa
        redupl.
        barbari "gruel" Ngizim

        *bar-/bur- East Chadic
        bura "flour" Sumray
        bar^ "flour" Tumak
        derivative with *ku-
        ku-b&ra "flour" Kabalay
        ku-bra "kind of millet" Lele

        *bur- "groats" Agaw
        bura "groats" Xamir

        *bur- "wheat" Lowland
        East Cushitic
        bur "wheat" Somali

        b.uru "maize" Dahalo

        *bar- "grain" Rift
        baru "grain" Burunge

        HSED 1983:
        *pir- "fruit, corn"

        *pir- "fruit" Semitic
        pr "fruit" Phoenician
        pr "fruit" Ugaritic
        p&ri: "fruit" Hebrew
        pe:ra: "fruit" Syrian Aramaic
        f&re "fruit" Geez
        cf.
        ferra:t "unripe fruit" Harsusi
        ferra:t "unripe fruit" Mehri
        ferrot "unripe fruit" S^h.eri

        *far- "corn" Berber
        a-faro "corn" Guanche
        The vocalisation may reflect a different alternation grade.

        pr.t "fruit, crop, seed" Egyptian
        (Old Kingdom)

        *fir- Agaw
        fir "fruit" Bilin
        fira "fruit" Xamir
        fira "fruit" Kwara
        fira "fruit" Demben
        fir "corn" Kemant

        *fir- "fireworm, fruit" Saho-Afar
        fire "fireworm, fruit" Saho

        *fir- "fruit" Lowland
        East Cushitic
        firi "fruit" Oromo

        "

        see also similar IE words for "sprout, bloom etc" in IE languages.
        HSED V. E. Orel &
        O. V. Stolbova Hamito-Semitic Etymological Dictionary
        E. J. Brill 1995