Re: god

  • richardwordingham
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In cybalist@y..., Piotr Gasiorowski <piotr.gasiorowski@i...>
      wrote:
      > You're right of course, Peter, but we discussed the <il.-> root on
      the list some time ago, also in response to Dr Kalyanaraman's query,
      so I just wonder why he should ask twice only to get the same
      answers. It's far less trouble to check the archives.

      > Piotr

      Alas, he would have had to search his own memory, unless you know a
      good way to search the archives. I searched for 'il.-' and only
      found 'NACHRICHTEN DER AKADEMIE DER WISSENSCHAFTEN IN
      GOETTINGEN. Phil.-hist. Klasse'. My search for 'allah' (lowercase
      because few subscribers enjoy the luxury of an English spell-checker)
      yielded many instances of Allahabad and Sammallahti. The only
      reference to 'Allah' I found was in a discussion of creation myths.

      I searched via the 'search' button while reading the list archive.
      If anyone knows a better way, please advise! I myself have already
      asked about labiovelars because I did not find an earlier discussion
      which had addressed their articulatory realisation.

      Richard.
    • Pavel Lurje
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2002
        Dear Danny,

        In Avestan and OPers. the chief word for 'god' is baga-, from the OIndian root bhag- 'to divide, separate'. Thus, the god is one who gives baxta-, i.e. 'fortune'. Thiss word might have circulated amoung the Scythians as well. Russian bog 'god' is an Iranian, resp. Scytho-sarmatian loan.
        The other word for 'god' was yazata-, it is the one worthy of homage (root yaz- 'to pay homage')
        IE *deiuos, Ind. Deva- doesn't work within Iranians.It's ancestor, OIr. daiva-, New Pers. Dew/Diw is an evil creature, a kind of devil, their leader is Anghra-mainyu, the one opposing Ahura Mazda, a positive highest god.

        Regards, PL.
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2002
          --- In cybalist@y..., "Danny Wier" <dawier@h...> wrote:
          > According to the American Heritage Dictionary (online):
          English "god" and German "Gott" came from IE *gheu(@)-, "to call,
          invoke", suffixed zero-grade form *ghu-to-, "the invoked (one)".
          Pokorny's root is *g^hau- (#413). ~DaW~

          Thanks a lot, Danny. God has complex roots in the mists of language!

          Could the IE *gheu- be cognate with Vedic.

          hve- (a phoneme which occurs in a score of Sanskrit lexemes, e.g.
          hava_mahe, juhve...)> hve = to call , call upon , summon ,
          challenge , invoke (R.gveda).

          In Tamil, the root is iku- as in: iku-ttal = to call, invite.
        • Cristian Mocanu
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 3, 2002
                AFAIK, "bog" occurs in all Slavic languages-including of course Old Church Slavonic-not just in Russian. So it would be a safe assumption that Common Slavic borrowed it from Iranian. Just a minor correction.
                                                            Regards,
                                                             Cristian