Re: [tied] Re: Europeans descend from Basques...

  • Danny Wier
    Message 1 of 44 , Jun 10, 2002
      The Ethnologue at SIL (http://www.ethnologue.com/family_index.asp) shows about 160 familes and 30 isolates. (Basque is considered a family of three languages, one Spanish and two French -- but Korean is listed as a Language Isolate.) But yes, about six families dominate the globe: IE, Afro-Asiatic, Niger-Congo, Altaic, Sino-Tibetan, Austronesian.

      SIL lists 6,809 living language, but 407 are considered "nearly extinct".

      Just some useless trivia.

      ~Danny~
      Message 44 of 44 , Jul 21, 2002
        Thanks, Peter. I'd be curious about details--in what way is the relation
        plausible?
        Anne