Vedic Astronomy - Biblio

  • vishalsagarwal
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2002
      Around the middle of April 2002, someone had requested a biblio list
      on secondary literature on Indian astronomy, as it relates to the
      arrival of IA languages in India, and to the date of the Vedic
      literature. At that time, I had given a short list. Below is a much
      longer list, listing articles arguing for a high as well as for a low
      chronology of Vedic literature.

      There are several articles by Vijk in Acta Orientalia (1920's to
      1930's) but I have not listed them as they are outdated except for
      the general information contained in them on the system if tithis,
      muhurtas etc.

      Vishal
      ********

      Astronomy (Excluding On-line Articles in EJVS)

      A. AIT/Harappan Astronomy

      ABHYANKAR, K. D. 1993. A Search for the Earliest Vedic Calendar.
      Indian Journal of History of Science. Vol. 28.1, pp 1-14

      ACHAR, B. N. Narahari. 2000. A Case for Revising the Date of the
      Vedanga Jyotisa. Indian Journal of History of Science. Vol. 35.3: pp.
      173-183
      ______. 2000. On the Astronomical Basis of the Date of Satapatha
      Brahmana: A Re-examination of Dixit's Theory. Indian Journal of
      History of Science. Vol. 35.1:pp.1-19
      ______. 2000. On the Caitradi Scheme. Indian Journal of History of
      Science. Vol. 35.4: pp. 295-310
      ______. 1998. On the Vedic Origin of the Ancient Mathematical
      Astronomy of India. Journal of Studies on Ancient India. Vol. 1, nos.
      2-4: pp. 95-108
      _____. 1998. Engima of the Five-Year Yuga of Vedanga Jyotisha. Indian
      Journal of History of Science. Vol. 33.2: pp. 101-109
      _______. A Mesopotamian Origin for Vedaanga Jyotisha: Is it
      Justified? Journal of Indian Philosophy and Religion, Vol. 2, pp. 29-
      42
      _______.forthc. Planetarium Software and the Date of the Mahabharata
      War.

      BAG, A. K. Astronomy in Indus Civilization and During Vedic Times.
      Indian Journal of History of Science. Vol. 20.1-4: pp 1122-130

      FALK, Harry. 2000. Measuring Time in Mesopotamia and Ancient India.
      ZDMG, vol. 150, pp. 107-132

      FRAWLEY, David. 1994. Planets in the Vedic Literature. Indian Journal
      of History of Science. Vol. 29.4: pp 495-506

      HARI, K. Chandra. 2000. Search for an Ancient Epoch of Indian
      Astronomy. Indian Journal of History of Science. Vol. 35.2: pp. 109-
      115
      ______. Date of the Solar Orbit of the Satapatha Brahmana. Indian
      Journal of History of Science. Vol. 35.1: pp. 21-25
      ______. 1998. On the Origin of Sidereal Zodiac and Astronomy. Indian
      Journal of History of Science. Vol. 33.4: pp. 257-266

      KAK, Subhash C. 2001. The Astronomical Code of the Rgveda (2nd Edn.).
      Munshiram Manoharlal: New Delhi
      ______.1998. The Sun's Orbit in the Brahmanas. Indian Journal of
      History of Science. Vol. 33.3: pp 175-191
      ______. 1993 The Structure of the Rgveda. Indian Journal of History
      of Science. Vol. 28.2: pp 71-79
      ______. 1993 Astronomy of the Satapatha Brahmana. Indian Journal of
      History of Science. Vol. 28.1, pp 15-34

      OHASI, Yukio. 1993. Development of Astronomical Observation in Vedic
      and Post-Vedic India. Indian Journal of History of Science. Vol.
      28.3: pp 185-251

      PARPOLA, Asko. 2000. The Religious Background of the Savitri Legend.
      In "Haranandalahari, Festschrift Minoru Hara", pp. 196-216
      ______. 1989. Astral Proper Names in India- An Analysis of the Oldest
      Sources, with Augmentation for an Ultimately Harappan Origin.
      In "Brahmavidya, The Adyar Library Bulletin", Vol. 53, pp.1-53

      PINGREE, David. "Birth and early development of Indian astronomy" has
      just appeared in ASTRONOMY ACROSS CULTURES: THE HISTORY OF NON-
      WESTERN ASTRONOMY, Helaine Selin (ed), Kluwer, 2000, pps. 303-340.
      ________. 1973. The Mesopotamian Origin of Early Indian Mathematical
      Astronomy. Journal for the History of Astronomy. Vol. 4, pp. 1-12

      PLOFKER, Kim. 1996. A Review of `Subhash Kak. The Astronomical Code
      of the Rgveda'. In "Centaurus", vol. 38, pp. 362-364

      SHARMA, S. D. 1996. Conjunction of Jupiter with d Cancri. Indian
      Journal of History of Science. Vol. 31.3. pp 269-274

      STAAL, Frits. 2000. Vyakarana and Sulba in the Light of Newton's
      Lesson. In "Haranandalahari, Festschrift Minoru Hara", pp. 349-374

      B. Other Astronomy

      ABHYANKAR, K. D.; G. M. Ballabh. 1996. Kaliyuga, Saptarsi,
      Yudhisthira and Laukika Eras. Indian Journal of History of Science.
      Vol. 31.1: pp 19-33
      _____. 1991. Modification of Some Indian Naksatras. Indian Journal of
      History of Science. Vol. 26.1: pp 1-10

      ACHAR, Narahari. 1999. On an Astrononical Concept in Visnupurana.
      Indian Journal of History of Science. Vol. 34.2: pp 109-115

      CHATTERJEE, S. K. 1997. A Note on Kali Era. Indian Journal of History
      of Science. Vol. 32.1: pp 69-86

      DOBBINS, K. Walton. The Origin of the Vikrama Era. Unpublished, Typed
      Manuscript

      HARI, K. Chandra. 1999. Intricacy of the Siddhantic Solar Year.
      Indian Journal of History of Science. Vol. 34.2: pp.133-143
      _____. 1998. On the Origin of `Kaliyugadi' Synodic Super-Conjunction.
      Indian Journal of History of Science. Vol. 33.3: pp. 193-201
      ______. 1997. The Rationale of Surya-Siddhanta. Indian Journal of
      History of Science. Vol. 32.3: pp 183-190

      KAK, Subhash C. 1998. Early Theories on the Distance to the Sun.
      Indian Journal of History of Science. Vol. 33.2: pp.93-100

      LISHK, Sajjan Singh and S. D. SHARMA. 1980. Standardization of Time-
      Unit Muhurta Through the Science of Sciatherics in Atharva Vedanga
      Jyotisha. Indian Journal of History of Science. Vol. 15.2: pp 193-203

      MUKHERJEE, B. N. 1997. A Note on the Vikrama and Saka Eras. Indian
      Journal of History of Science, Vol. 32.1, pp. 87-92

      PARAMAHANS, S. A. 1989. A Fresh Glimpse on the Date of the
      Mahabharata. Indian Journal of History of Science. Vol. 24.3: pp. 150-
      155

      SARMA, K. V. 1985. A Survey of Source Materials. Indian Journal of
      History of Science. Vol. 20.1-4: pp 1-20

      SHASTRI, Ajay Mitra. 1996. Saka Era. Indian Journal of History of
      Science. Vol. 31.1: pp. 67-88
      _______. 1996. Vikrama Era. Indian Journal of History of Science.
      Vol. 31.1: pp.35-65

      SHUKLA, K. S. 1989. The Yuga of the Yavanajataka – David Pingree's
      Text and Translation Reviewed. Indian Journal of History of Science.
      Vol. 34.4: pp.211-223

      VARADARAJAN, Lotika. Astrology and Astronomy – The Indo-Portuguese
      Encounter. VI International Seminar of Indo-Portuguese History, Macao
      22-26 October 1991

      *******

      Other literature -

      Aiyar, B. V. Kamesvara. 1919. The Lunar Zodiac in the Brahmanas.
      Indian Antiquary 48:95-97
      ____.1922. The Age of the Brahmanas. Quarterly Journal of the Mythic
      Society. 12:171 – 193, 223-246 and 357-366

      Buhler G. 1894. Note on Prfoessor Jacobi's Age of the Veda and on
      Professor Tilak's Orion". Indian Antiquary 23: 238-249

      Hermann Jacobi. 1909. On the Antiquity of the Vedic Culture. Journal
      of the Royal Asiatic Soceity 721-726
      ____. 1910. The Antiquity of the Vedic Culture. JRAS 456-467

      Pingree, David Edwin. JyotiHzAstra : astral and mathematical
      literature. [J. Gonda (ed.), A history of Indian literature, vol. 6,
      fasc. 4]. Wiesbaden : Harrassowitz, 1981.
      ---, Venus Omens in India and Babylon. In: Francesca Rochberg-Halton
      (ed.), Language, Literature and History: Philological and Historical
      Studies Presented to Erica Reiner. American Oriental Society, 1987:
      293-315.
      ---, Legacies in Astronomy and Celestial Omens. In: Stephanie Dalley
      (ed.) The Legacy of Mesopotamia, , Oxford University Press 1998.
    • pamela shearhart
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2002
        see attached image. and realize i have NO interest in
        your culture. i belong to one of the most quickly
        disappearing cultures on the planet and have only a
        need to know more about my own people before we
        disappear, are outbred and are miscegenated out of
        existence. do not waste my time sending me email
        pamela pallessen-scherehart

        === message truncated ===

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31, 2002
          Dear Pamela,

          What would that endangered culture be? Your name sounds half Danish (Pallessen), half-German (Scherehart) -- both qualifying as relatively large ethnic groups and neither actually facing extinction at present or in foreseeable future. What's this concern about miscegenation? Forgive me for putting it bluntly, but I detect a xenophobic tone in your posting, something that is rarely heard on this list. Most of the members, I presume, are interested in _various_ cultures -- the Indo-European languages have been spoken by culturally dissimilar peoples on two continents for several thousand years.

          Yours,

          Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 7:23 PM
          Subject: Re: [tied] Vedic Astronomy - Biblio