Re: The usefulness of a language

  • x99lynx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2 9:23 AM
      <Thank you for the story. I must be confused. I don't understand what
      you are trying to say. Is it that the words in English that look
      exactly as if they were Norman French actually aren't, but were
      introduced into the English Language by pulp fiction writers?>

      Yes. That's exactly what I was saying. There were no Norman words before
      lawyers and pulp fiction writers. Sometimes it works in reverse. The word
      <gay> from the French which use to mean a certain kind of happy? Well, now
      it's a legal status in California where you can't discriminate against
      "gays." Now how do you in the Norman French can you explain that?

      <<Nothing comes from "prestige". What goes by the name of "prestige"
      ultimately is based on a threat of the use of physical force. And
      that is sufficient to change what words people use.>>

      I've adopted French words to sound smart and sophisticated. I've adopted
      lots of words to get across an idea better. I've adopted words to fill out
      forms. I remember people using isolated English words to try to sell me
      something on foreign streets. Or to throw insults at me in foreign jungles.
      But I don't ever remember a Frenchmen using the threat of violence to make me
      say Brie. I seriously doubt it's happened much. It doesn't make much sense.

      s.