Re: [tied] Plinius and Tacitus

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2002

      Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 9:18 AM
      Subject: Re: [tied] Plinius and Tacitus

      > I understand this is a difficult area.
      What is your view about the late professor Elias Wesséns statements
      that the language of the Gutnish people on Gotland and the Goths in
      the Vistula area were almost identical at the beginning of CE.
      As we know nothing concrete about the state of either language at the time, one can only speculate. It is quite likely that something like Gothic was spoken in Gotland about the year zero, but a language shift occurred later (much later), erasing the East Germanic substrate. What I said is that Old Gutnish as we know it (attested centuries later) was not related to Gothic more closely than it was to Danish and Swedish.

      > There is a tendency to confuse Gotland with Sweden but their cultures
      are completely different.
      Sure enough, but my comments refer only to language. People speaking the same langue or closely related languages may have very different cultures and different ethnic identities (think of German, English, etc.)

      Piotr
    • Tore Gannholm
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2002
        Re: [tied] Plinius and Tacitus

        What is your view about the late professor Elias Wesséns statements
        that the language of the Gutnish people on Gotland and the Goths in
        the Vistula area were almost identical at the beginning of CE.

        As we know nothing concrete about the state of either language at the time, one can only speculate. It is quite likely that something like Gothic was spoken in Gotland about the year zero, but a language shift occurred later (much later), erasing the East Germanic substrate. What I said is that Old Gutnish as we know it (attested centuries later) was not related to Gothic more closely than it was to Danish and Swedish.

        > There is a tendency to confuse Gotland with Sweden but their cultures
        are completely different.

        Sure enough, but my comments refer only to language. People speaking the same langue or closely related languages may have very different cultures and different ethnic identities (think of German, English, etc.)
        Piotr

        Probably we can't come further.
        I presume you have access to Guta lagh written down about 1220 in the Gutnish language.
        Otherwise you can find it here.
        http://gotland.luma.com/guta.html

        Tore

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2002
          Re: [tied] Plinius and Tacitus
          Thank you for the interesting link. It's nice to have the Guta Lagh a click away.

          Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 1:06 PM