Re: Etymology for (Caucasian) Albania

  • Vishal Agarwal
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001
      Interestingly, Pliny seems to locate 'Albania' in N W India!! See below -

      180-181: �Pliny says, �when Alexander the Great was on his Indian expedition
      he was presented by the king of Albania with a dog of unusual size,� which
      successfully attacked both a lion and an elephant in his presence. The same
      story is repeated by his copyist, Solinus, without any change in the name of
      the country. Now, we know from the united testimony of Strabo, Diodorus, and
      Curtius, that the Indian king who presented Alexander with these fighting
      dogs was Sophites, and he, therefore, must have been the king of Albania.
      For this name, I propose to read Labania, by the simple transposition of the
      first two letters. Alban would, therefore, become Laban which at once
      suggests the Sanskrit word lavana, or �salt�, as the original of this
      hitherto puzzling name. The mountain itself is named Oromenus by Pliny, who
      notes that the kings of the country derived a greater revenue from the rock
      salt than either gold or pearls. This name is probably intended for the
      Sanskrit Raumaka, which according to the Pandits, is the name of the salt
      brought from the hill country of Ruma��
      Reference -
      Sastri, Surendranath Majumdar. 1924. Cunningham�s Ancient Geography of
      India. Chuckervertty, Chatterjee & Co. Ltd. Calcutta.

      Sincerely,

      Vishal

      PS: Since you talk about 'alans', I am tempted to mention that a tribe named
      alina is mentioned in the Rigveda, and was one of the numerous tribes said
      to have been banished from N W India by the Bharatas in the Dasarajna war.

      **************

      Etymology for (Caucasian) Albania
      From: "tarasovass" <S.Tarasovas@...>
      Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:44:22 -0000
      From: "tarasovass" <S.Tarasovas@...>
      Subject: Etymology for (Caucasian) Albania

      Is anybody aware of the etymology of the toponym (Caucasian) Albania?
      If I'm not mistaken, it seemes first to appear in Strabo's Geography
      (<Albani'a>) and Pliny's Natural History (Alba:nia), and looks like
      contamination of Latin Alba-toponyms with something Nakho-Dagestanian
      or NE Iranian. Do the Alans have anything to do with it?

      Sergei

    • tarasovass
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001
        --- In cybalist@y..., "Vishal Agarwal" <vishalagarwal@h...> wrote:
        > Interestingly, Pliny seems to locate 'Albania' in N W India!! See
        below - [etc]

        Thank you for this interesting (and unexpected) connection. What
        puzzles me is that all the sources I got at hand consistently state
        that ancient Albania was located in today's Dagestan, west to the
        Caspian sea. I mentioned the Alans because of probable NE Iranian
        infiltration to the territory under question/

        Sergei
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2001
          --- In cybalist@y..., "tarasovass" <S.Tarasovas@e...> wrote:
          > --- In cybalist@y..., "Vishal Agarwal" <vishalagarwal@h...> wrote:
          > > Interestingly, Pliny seems to locate 'Albania' in N W India!! See
          > below - [etc]
          > >

          > Thank you for this interesting (and unexpected) connection. What
          > puzzles me is that all the sources I got at hand consistently state
          > that ancient Albania was located in today's Dagestan, west to the
          > Caspian sea. I mentioned the Alans because of probable NE Iranian
          > infiltration to the territory under question/
          >
          > Sergei

          It gets much worse than that. Heyerdahl, according to press,
          has "dicovered" on "Odin-people" in the presumed Odin home,in
          Dagestan, namely the Udi. And they are known to linguists as the
          possible decendant of classical Caucasin Albanian!

          see

          http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~wschulze/Uog.html
          http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~wschulze/Udigen1.htm#Alwan
          http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~wschulze/Udigen1.htm#Contact