Unita Fortior

  • david.james29@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2001
      My local football team, Carlisle United, has the Latin motto 'Unita
      Fortior' i.e.'Stronger United'. Can anyone explain why the feminine
      form is used in this context? In modern Latin based languages the
      masculine form would be used by default where there in no noun. Why
      is the masculine (or indeed the neuter form) not used in this context
      in Latin?
      Incidentally this topic was discussed some time ago on a supporters
      message board and no-one could give an answer.
      I hope this question isn't too trivial; there is a serious linguistic
      question involved.

      Thank you

      David James