71720Re: [tied] Hydronyms and Toponyms, what *Mori- can tell us.

  • Joao S. Lopes
    Apr 25, 2014
      My point is that these communities might share some degree of contact to preserve the memory of a "sea", even after spread to hinterland.

      JS Lopes
      Em Quinta-feira, 24 de Abril de 2014 20:34, Bhrihskwobhloukstroy <bhrihstlobhrouzghdhroy@...> escreveu:

      Proto-Indo-Europeans dwelt along the Mediterranean, Black, Caspian,
      Baltic, and North Sea, and the Atlantic and Indian Ocean; the
      Proto-Celts developed in sitū from Proto-Indo-Europeans in Cisalpine
      and Transalpine Gaul, Spain, Central Europe and the British Isles

      > European IE languages (minus those from Balkans) shared a common word
      > *mori-, whose meaning 'stagnant water, lake, sea' provided word for 'sea'.
      > If European IE settlers had a name for 'sea', what sea are they refering to?
      > Most plausible is Black Sea, but Baltic and Adriatic are possibilities. If
      > the name means "lake", what lake is that? How could Celts keep a word for
      > 'sea' moving across Europe? Should we infer that while Proto-Celts are
      > arriving at France, did they keep contact to marine communities?
      >
      > JS Lopes

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic