71582Re: [tied] Why there is t- in German tausend "thousand"?

  • Bhrihskwobhloukstroy
    Nov 13, 2013
      2013/11/13, gprosti <gprosti@...>:

      > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Bhrihskwobhloukstroy
      > <bhrihstlobhrouzghdhroy@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> May I state again that it was an etymology only for the aberrant
      >> German forms? It would be complete nonsense to replace a phonological
      >> impasse (OHG tu^sunt < PIE *t-) with a much greater one (OHG #d- < PIE
      >> *dh-)! I'm just suggesting tu^sunt and thu^sunt represent different
      >> etyma. Claims that X and Y (in this case, tu^sunt and thu^sunt)
      >> "cannot be separated" are justified in a regular system of diatopic
      >> phonological variation, otherwise they're quite arbitrary,
      >
      > I'm not sure what you mean by "regular system of diatopic variation", but if
      > you have a set of words with a sufficient amount of shared phonetic
      > material, plus matching semantics, this overrides the criterion of regular
      > phonetic correspondence when drawing a connection between two or more
      > forms.
      >
      > E.g., I would say that there is no need to find regular sound rules to
      > justify a relationship between Finnish kuningas "king" and OHG kuning. The
      > two share a sequence of six phonemes, and they match semantically (compare
      > thu^sunt/tu^sunt, with at least a five-phoneme match) – probabilistically,
      > this is enough to conclude they share a common ancestor.
      >
      > None of this implies rejecting the regularity of sound change -- it may turn
      > out that the pair of kuningas/kuning perfectly follows a pattern of
      > Finnish/Germanic sound correspondence from a certain time period. But, it
      > does mean that there are other criteria that can be used independently of
      > regular sound correspondence to conclude that a set of words can or can't be
      > separated from one another.

      *Bhr.: (I've added the dash)
      This is a different case. With tu^sunt / thu^sunt we have a phonemic
      difference, i.e. one that can change the meaning of a word. If in this
      very case the meaning doesn't change, it's pure chance; the point is
      that we are dealing with words in the same system
    • Show all 50 messages in this topic