71577Re: [tied] Why there is t- in German tausend "thousand"?

  • Bhrihskwobhloukstroy
    Nov 13, 2013
      May I state again that it was an etymology only for the aberrant
      German forms? It would be complete nonsense to replace a phonological
      impasse (OHG tu^sunt < PIE *t-) with a much greater one (OHG #d- < PIE
      *dh-)! I'm just suggesting tu^sunt and thu^sunt represent different
      etyma. Claims that X and Y (in this case, tu^sunt and thu^sunt)
      "cannot be separated" are justified in a regular system of diatopic
      phonological variation, otherwise they're quite arbitrary, while
      Lautgesetze are compelling. An etymological separation of tu^sunt and
      thu^sunt may be judged more or less credible, but phonological
      irregularity
      is impossible, so everyone is factually invited to make his choice: I
      choose something that's more or less credible, but phonologically
      regular

      2013/11/13, Piotr Gasiorowski <gpiotr@...>:
      > On 2013-11-13 05:18, dgkilday57@... wrote:
      >
      >> [DGK:]
      >>
      >> Nice try, but your rather atomistic explanation fails to account for
      >> Gothic _þu:sundi_, Old Saxon _thûsundig_, Old Frisian _thûsend_, and
      >> Old English _þúsend_, all of which point unequivocally to Germanic
      >> *þ-, Indo-European *t-.
      >
      > Neither does it account for Baltic and Slavic t- in the numeral
      > 'thousand' (OCS tysęšti, Lith. tú:kstantis, etc., as if from <
      > *tuHs(o)ntjo-, in perfect agreement with the Germanic forms cited above).
      >
      > Piotr

    • Show all 50 messages in this topic