71010Re: [tied] Greek hippos < ek^wos... or not?

  • dgkilday57
    Feb 27, 2013
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "dgkilday57" <dgkilday57@...> wrote:
      > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Joao S. Lopes" <josimo70@> wrote:
      > >
      > > [DGK]
      > > In my opinion, the Macedonian royal name Bilippos (Hellenized as Phil-) points to Mac. as the source of _hippos_, the internal consonantism being PIE *-k^w- > centumized *-kW- > Ill.-Lus. *-kkW- > P-Ill. *-kp- > Mac. *-pp- (with the -kp-stage actually attested in Lukpeio on Paeonian coins, as mentioned earlier).
      > >
      > > It sounds interesting, but the presence of *iqo in Mycenean points to an age older than Macedonian-Greek contact, doesn't it? Unless we infer that Mycenean *hiqwos and Macedonian *hikpos/*hippos share  a common source.
      > >
      > I think Mycenaean borrowed *hikkWos from Old Illyrian, writing it in Linear B as _i-qo_. Later in K-Illyrian, *-kkW- was reduced to *-kk-, and Epidaurian borrowed _ikkos_. Messapic probably had the same form (actually *ikkas with *a < *o), since _-ikkos_ occurs in Tarentine personal names. Attic _hippos_ in this view represents an independent borrowing from Macedonian. It is noteworthy that the aspiration fails in the name _Leukippos_, but not in the adjective _tethrippos_ 'four-horsed'. Probably the name was borrowed and indicates the weakness of the aspiration (resulting from PIE *h1e- > Ill.-Lus. *hi-) in (Old) Macedonian, while the adjective was formed within Attic.
      > Sicel _ipne:_ (oxytone) 'saddle', if native, points to the language being P-Illyrian (or P-Lusitanian), and shows that this group did NOT undergo the Kluge-Stokes assimilation, so my earlier conjecture about Mac. _Perdikkas_ (as *per-dik^-nos 'ausgezeichnet, outstanding') must be rejected (but *per-dik^-wos in the same sense is acceptable).
      Oops! My second conjecture on _Perdikkas_ is NOT acceptable, since I have already assumed *-k^w- > Mac. -pp-. My THIRD conjecture is *per-dik^-jos, with *-k^j- > *-kkj- > -kk-, more or less as in West Germanic /j/-gemination.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic