3516Re: [tied] Re: Cimbri & Teutoni

    Sep 1, 2000
      Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 6:28 AM
      Subject: [tied] Re: Cimbri & Teutoni

      Thanks for the literary reference. I'll certainly read McCulloch's novels if I get hold of them.

      The Cymbri-Teutone invasions involved a whole series of Celtic
      peoples as well as Germanic ones.  They weathered for one harvest in
      Belgium, enrolling a number of Celtic tribes into their cause, some
      of whom emerged into leadership positions.  Possibly the best source
      for this is the excellent and very readable historical novels of the
      Australian Colleen McCulloch (for which she was awarded a PhD in
      Ancient History.  Her bibiolographies are a wealth of sources on te
      period from Marius to the rise of Ceasar.

      She even suggests that it was Cornelius Sulla who provided the Romans
      with their "intelligence" about the Cymbri-Teutones in Jutland.  The
      books are excellent for anyone who is interested in this period of

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic