1308[cybalist] Re: Afro-Asiatic

  • John Croft
    Feb 1, 2000
      Glen in relation to Alexander's post wrote
      (or was it Alexander in relation to Glen's... My mailserver creates
      endless confusion on such matters...)
      > Ich antworte:
      >
      > Do you mean: What DIRECT LINGUISTIC evidences do we have to prefer
      proper
      > Anatolian or proper Zagros cultures as a candidat for Nostratic one?
      I think
      > none (and hardly will ever have, I'm afraid).
      > However recognition any of them as Nostratic (in the framework of the
      > conception I presented) have very far going CONSEQUENCES. It is easy
      > retrace the connections of the Zagros (+Natufian) cultures with
      > "Subneolithic" and Neolithic cultures of the Middle East (but not
      Anatolia
      > except the easternmost part), India, North China (but not the Huanghe
      > valley!), the Urals, the Pontic steppes, North-East Africa. On the
      other hand > the cultures of the Anatolian type spread in North
      Mesopotamia and South and
      > Central Europe, partly in the Caucasus region.
      >
      > Which of these 2 areas looks "more Nostratic" for you?

      Point taken, both of them were probably Nostratic to begin with. In
      fact you cannot connect Natufian with Zagros in any way either. It is
      as destinct as Anatolian. In fact Natufian had contact with Anatolian
      cultures but not Zagros ones (they used the same source of Obsidian!).

      The result of the matter is Natufian culture developed by easy stages
      out of the pre-existing Kebaran culture. Presumably the Kebaran were
      Nostratic too! Equally Zagros sub-neolithic at Jarmo developed by easy
      stages out of the pre-existing Zarzian culture too. Thus the Zarzians
      were probaly Nostratic too. These cultures extend back to late Ice
      Age. They were microlithic in tradition at a time when their
      neighbours to the North and East were still post Aurignacian big game
      hunters....

      And where are the first microliths found? No.... you don't mean 15,000
      years ago with the North East African Helwan of Fayyum? Surely not...
      could that have been the oriigins of Nostratic? Perhaps....

      But as you say so rightly, you cannot equate culture with language.
      Except... the Na Dene peoples probably got into North America at the
      time of the melting of the Laurentide Ice Sheet. To have a Nostratic
      in Kamchatka so early means that Nostratic must have begun its
      expansion considerably before Natufian and the Zagros cultures, and
      that means before sub-Neolithic.

      Regards

      John
    • Show all 56 messages in this topic