What's the interest in an event on the Constellation in April 2012?

  • Mad Mike
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2011
      Greetings from Ship's Company - the USS Constellation CW USN / Marines living history group.

      It occurs to us that we are overdue in hosting an opportunity for the other CW Navy and Marine groups (Federal and Confederate)to do an event on the Constellation with us this message is a feeler to guage the interest of the collective groups. This is an opportunity to trod the decks and work the great guns of the last floating Civil War era Navy warship.

      Our thought is to hold this event on the Saturday of the same weekend in April as Fort McHenry holds its Civil War Weekend (this year, 2011, it was April 16 see - http://www.nps.gov/fomc/planyourvisit/events.htm?month=4&year=2011).

      Holding it during the Fort McHenry Civil War weekend gives your groups the opportunity to camp and park free. And to see and participate in Fort McHenry's actiivites as well. We will have to work this out with the Fort - we haven't raised it with them yet. We want to guage your interest in the idea first, before making a lot of plans to no purpose.

      There are other logistics and plans to work out as well, but the key is whether you are interested enough to say that you would come to such an event in April of 2012, probably the 14th & 15th.

      So - what do you say? Yeah or nay on board the Constellation in April 2012?

      Thanks.
    • gil tercenio
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2011
        I would be VERY interested in an event like this.

         Gil Tercenio

        "Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that His justice cannot sleep for ever." --Thomas Jefferson

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2011
          Sounds good for me too!

          Jim Shillinglaw

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2011
            ---So Mike, are you saying that we would have to camp at the fort and not live on the ship for the week end?

            Steve Hesson

            In cwnavyandmarineforum@yahoogroups.com, "Mad Mike" <michael.decarlo2@...> wrote:

            > Greetings from Ship's Company - the USS Constellation CW USN / Marines living history group.
            >
            > It occurs to us that we are overdue in hosting an opportunity for the other CW Navy and Marine groups (Federal and Confederate)to do an event on the Constellation with us this message is a feeler to guage the interest of the collective groups. This is an opportunity to trod the decks and work the great guns of the last floating Civil War era Navy warship.
            >
            > Our thought is to hold this event on the Saturday of the same weekend in April as Fort McHenry holds its Civil War Weekend (this year, 2011, it was April 16 see - http://www.nps.gov/fomc/planyourvisit/events.htm?month=4&year=2011).
            >
            > Holding it during the Fort McHenry Civil War weekend gives your groups the opportunity to camp and park free. And to see and participate in Fort McHenry's actiivites as well. We will have to work this out with the Fort - we haven't raised it with them yet. We want to guage your interest in the idea first, before making a lot of plans to no purpose.
            >
            > There are other logistics and plans to work out as well, but the key is whether you are interested enough to say that you would come to such an event in April of 2012, probably the 14th & 15th.
            >
            > So - what do you say? Yeah or nay on board the Constellation in April 2012?
            >
            > Thanks.

          • Mad Mike
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2011
              re--- In cwnavyandmarineforum@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <shess299@...> wrote:

              > ---So Mike, are you saying that we would have to camp at the fort and not live on the ship for the week end?
              >
              > Steve Hesson

              Steve -

              Yes, Steve, that is correct. This is not a sleep-aboard event and any consideration of that is right off the table. The answer is a firm "no."

              There are several reasons for that course of action.

              First, as you know, the ship now makes a significant portion of its budget from its overnight programs for scouts and other kids groups. To use the berth deck overnight, we would have to pay the ship for the use of that space.

              Ship's Company rarely sleeps aboard anymore and does not conduct full weekend programs anymore - just Saturdays only. On those very rare occasions we do sleep aboard, we are shunted off the berth deck and limited to a few hammock hooks in the galley area - six hammocks max. And there are strict rules around proper deportment when there are groups aboard and, if they are girl scouts, we are generally banned altogether.

              If we were to consider a sleep aboard, then there would be a need to both reserve the ship for that night - for probably two nights to accomodate those who come on Friday - and pay a deposit. We would be under the command and control of the Constellation's educational program, i.e., no leaving the ship and no "splicing the main brace" for the duration of the evening. Further, each of our fellow reenactors attending would have to commit and pay the Constellation in advance the fee for the overnight. And that would be payable to Constellation, NOT Ship's Company. Currently I beleive the cost is $60 per person per night and there is a minimum charge of $1800 per group per night, equivalent to 30 people. Our guys would have to pay to sleep on the berth deck as well. Our Board of Directors has said they will not take on the financial responsibility to handle cash and make these group arrangements.

              What we are proposing gets us all on the ship, doing living history during the day, with no charge to anyone.

              Second, there is the consideration of meals. You know I am the cook, Steve and you've eaten my food on board the Constellation. I fully intend to provide a noon mess on board for those attending. (There are pictures of our noon mess in the photos section of this yahoo group.) But with a sleep aboard (which would have to start Friday night for the benefit of those traveling far distances) you now raise the logistical problem to include not one meal - but five. And now there would have to be a charge for food to attendees. I can't do it. Events at Fort McHenry are catered by Combat Caterers and the food is both good and free there to reenactor attendees.

              Third, there is the consideration of families, for those who involve their distaff side. Ship's Company CW USN and Marine does not. (We do on our War of 1812 side - that's very family friendly.) Sleeping on the Constellation is not family friendly - there is no privacy on the berth deck and just two small toilets in the museum building. Very young children cannot be accomodated as the ship is a safety hazard. At Fort McHenry, each group can set up and maintain their camp as they always have at any event they now attend. We want to accomodate you and give you an experience on the Constellation - not have you travel all the way to Baltimore, spend money you don't need to and have to accomodate the rules of what is, essentially, a museum.

              Steve, I hope that addresses all you questions and issues. Again, the answer to whether this can be a sleep aboard event is a firm "no." End of discussion for me. We are offering what we are offering - Come to the Fort McHenry Civil War Weekend next April and you'll get a full Saturday of living history on the Constellation.

              That's it this time. If it's successful, may be we can do more next time.

              Who is interested? So far, just two responses. How about some group commitments?

              Michael DeCarlo

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2011
                ---Mike, did not realize so much had changed since the last time I was there ('06?). That all makes sense to me, just did not know there had been so many financial changes, and they also make sense.

                Thank you for the response.

> [...]
                >
                > Steve, I hope that addresses all you questions and issues. Again, the answer to whether this can be a sleep aboard event is a firm "no." End of discussion for me. We are offering what we are offering - Come to the Fort McHenry Civil War Weekend next April and you'll get a full Saturday of living history on the Constellation.
                >
                > That's it this time. If it's successful, may be we can do more next time.
                >
                > Who is interested? So far, just two responses. How about some group commitments?

              • teethodore
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 11, 2011
                  Gents, Galena Marines are certainly interested if the timing worsks schedule wise.

                  Cheers

                  John

> [...]
                  > >
                  > > Steve, I hope that addresses all you questions and issues. Again, the answer to whether this can be a sleep aboard event is a firm "no." End of discussion for me. We are offering what we are offering - Come to the Fort McHenry Civil War Weekend next April and you'll get a full Saturday of living history on the Constellation.
                  > >
                  > > That's it this time. If it's successful, may be we can do more next time.
                  > >
                  > > Who is interested? So far, just two responses. How about some group commitments?

                • jeffcowvplanning
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 12, 2011
                    John..
                    Could you spread the word to the Marine groups you managed at Manassas, to see what interest there is among them? I assume all are not part of this yahoo group.

                    Thanks.
                    Steve Bockmiller

                    --- In cwnavyandmarineforum@yahoogroups.com, teethodore <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > >
                    > > > Steve, I hope that addresses all you questions and issues. Again, the answer to whether this can be a sleep aboard event is a firm "no." End of discussion for me. We are offering what we are offering - Come to the Fort McHenry Civil War Weekend next April and you'll get a full Saturday of living history on the Constellation.
                    > > >
                    > > > That's it this time. If it's successful, may be we can do more next time.
                    > > >
                    > > > Who is interested? So far, just two responses. How about some group commitments?

                  • President, NMLHA
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 23, 2011
                      If I may be forgiven for marketing to the various crews, I want to point out that the USNLP Handbook for Civil War Naval Reenactors is on sale until 14 December at a 25% discount. All proceeds go directly to the USNLP, not me. Details are on the main page of the USNLP site at www.usnlp.org

                      Regards,
                      Chuck Veit
                      President, Navy & Marine Living History Association
                      www.navyandmarine.org