7899How Blow Ye Winds for the Future?

  • Walt
    Aug 29, 2013
      Hi Steve,

      Good questions.

      Seems that my original reply to yours below somehow evaporated so let me try it again.

      The city's 1906 municipal Steam Tug BALTIMORE constructed to replace the one built 1857. It too was designed to support an extended saloon so as to act as a tour/inspection vessel. The 1906 tug retained much of the 1857's lines even to the extent of having a very narrow beam of only eighteen feet, six inches. She too has a riveted hull. Her decks were formed of Georgia pine, her wheelhouse and saloon finished in oak. Unlike the 1857 BALTIMORE, the newer tug was equipped with electric lighting but not until her boilers were up and running first. I suppose that like the now electrified Sloop-of-War CONSTELLATION we could overlook such upgrades for safety sake.

      Oh! One more thing. Unlike the 1857 tug having an iron hull, the current re-incarnation has a steel hull. Hope no one will hold that against it. Similarly, today's CONSTELLATION has tons laminated wood supports which perhaps makes her stronger, thus safer today, than she ever was when in active service.

      Two stages or interpretive platforms if you will ... albeit different modes of 19th century propulsion.

      --- In cwnavyandmarineforum@yahoogroups.com, jeffcowvplanning <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Walt..
      >
      > Happy new year to you too....but I have to ask....how can a tug boat
      > that was built 50 years after the war, and was still working the
      > harbors almost a hundred years after the war, serve as an effective
      > stage for posing Civil War impression publicity photos?
      >
      > Just curious.
      >
      > Happy New Year to you and all...
      >
      > Steve B.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic