7880Re: [CW Navy and Marine Forum] Confederate navy hammocks

  • mikestein555
    Aug 5, 2013
      I wonder if the cover in the 1860's was similar to the straw mattress tick with three buttons on a central slit on the back. Just spent the night looking for horsehair padding for mattress. Found one English firm selling 2Mx1Mx20mm for 49sterling or $75. So that x3 to get 2 1/2 inches. $225 plus shipping, possible customs. Faking it looks tempting. I know you made hammocks once upon a time. Did you do the mattresses too? If so, did you have a domestic supplier?
      Mike

      --- In cwnavyandmarineforum@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas" <mechanshican@...> wrote:

      > This place sells #1 by the roll but you can get #4 by the yard. I haven't used this place but it looks promising:
      >
      > http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/categories/numbered-ducks/by-the-yard.html
      >
      > The mattress was an 1870's one at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, Va. but follows period descriptions of them.
      >
      > It basically is a pad of horsehair batting with a lightweight canvas cover. It was tacked in offset tacks about 10" apart. It was 66-1/2" long, 27" wide, and 2-1/2" thick. I think it had a lightweight twill cotton slip cover. I'll have to dig up my notes to check that.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Tom
      >
      > --- In cwnavyandmarineforum@yahoogroups.com, "mikestein555" <mestein@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Tom,
      > > Cool. Who did you source your canvass from? My last internet search was unsuccessful in finding Canvas #1. Also, I heard about the horse hair mattress being 2" thick but not much else. Do you have any further information on this? Was it ticked? woven? felted?
      > > Mike

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic