7879Re: [CW Navy and Marine Forum] Confederate navy hammocks

  • Thomas
    Aug 5, 2013
      This place sells #1 by the roll but you can get #4 by the yard. I haven't used this place but it looks promising:

      http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/categories/numbered-ducks/by-the-yard.html

      The mattress was an 1870's one at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, Va. but follows period descriptions of them.

      It basically is a pad of horsehair batting with a lightweight canvas cover. It was tacked in offset tacks about 10" apart. It was 66-1/2" long, 27" wide, and 2-1/2" thick. I think it had a lightweight twill cotton slip cover. I'll have to dig up my notes to check that.

      Regards,

      Tom

      --- In cwnavyandmarineforum@yahoogroups.com, "mikestein555" <mestein@...> wrote:

      > Tom,
      > Cool. Who did you source your canvass from? My last internet search was unsuccessful in finding Canvas #1. Also, I heard about the horse hair mattress being 2" thick but not much else. Do you have any further information on this? Was it ticked? woven? felted?
      > Mike

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic