Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [cw_bugs] Re: VIBROPLEX Original Deluxe

Expand Messages
  • David Ring
    The Standard version of the Anniversary Original Semi-automatic Vibroplex as well as the Millenium 2000 Blue Racer are both Deluxe (jeweled movement) bugs
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2 10:46 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      The "Standard" version of the Anniversary Original Semi-automatic
      Vibroplex as well as the Millenium 2000 Blue Racer are both Deluxe
      (jeweled movement) bugs dressed in plain clothes.

      All other "Standard" versions of Vibroplex have the standard,
      non-jeweled movement with the narrowed tapered pointed end of the top
      and bottom spindle of the lever sitting in empty cups at the end of
      the trunion (top and bottom) screws. The jeweled movement has the
      rounded end (instead of a point these look like an elbow) of the
      spindle fitting in the top and bottom jeweled cups,

      The 100th Anniversary Original was supplied with Black finger pieces -
      which was what was used 100 years ago! It is the ONLY deluxe bug ever
      made with black finger pieces and a painted base. While the Millenium
      2000 Blue Racer had red finger pieces, but it had a blue epoxy painted
      base - making it the first deluxe Vibroplex to have a painted base
      since the World War II bugs produced 1942-45 during the chrome
      rationing. The Millenium 2000 Blue Racer is really a new model of the
      Original bug - just put on a narrow base. The miniature hardware
      (yoke, vibrator, etc.) of the Blue Racer are NOT used, but modern
      Original parts are. So it is a Original on a narrow base, with
      jeweled movement and a blue painted base. The "Deluxe" version of
      this key only adds a chrome base as the key already has jeweled
      movement.

      73

      David N1EA
      =30=
      On 5/2/08, k4oso <k4oso@...> wrote:
      > Dick,
      > That 100th Anniversary is real "eye candy", eh? I "acquired" a very
      > lightly used one a short time ago. Mine has the jewelled mainframe
      > and red fingerpieces. Really adds sparkle to the operating desk.
      > 73, Milt
      >
      > k4oso
      >
      >
      > --- In cw_bugs@yahoogroups.com, hermit <hermit@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >
      > > Mike -
      > >
      > > My XYL got me the Anniversary bug for Christmas '07 and I am unable
      > to
      > > find any blemishes at all. I think you will be well pleased. It's
      > > gorgeous.
      > >
      > > 73
      > >
      > > Dick KB3OMJ
      > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >Mike:
      > > >
      > > >Let us know what you think of your new 100th Anniversary Original
      > > >after it arrives.
      > > >
      > > >Jack - N0NV
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >--- In cw_bugs@yahoogroups.com, Mike Markowski <mm@> wrote:
      > > >>
      > > >> Marcelo, George, & all,
      > > >>
      > > >> Enjoy the new bug, Marcelo! I hope you'll have time to post a
      > review.
      > > >> It's always helpful for new bug users like me to hear other new
      > buyers'
      > > >> impressions.
      > > >>
      > > >> I'm awaiting my 100th Anniv Orig bug here. There's a backlog of
      > > >about 3
      > > >> to 4 weeks. Vibroplex web page says the 100th Anniv bug is sold
      > at 25%
      > > >> off because they can't guarantee the quality of the base. So I
      > called
      > > >> and asked what kind of blemishes I might expect. Betsy at
      > Vibroplex
      > > >> says that the maker of the bases has worked out the problems (I
      > almost
      > > >> said 'bugs') and that now the bases are fine. In her
      > words, "But the
      > > >> boss says to keep selling at the sale price and word has gotten
      > round."
      > > >> So $157 might just be a steal. I haven't received mine to
      > verify
      > > >this
      > > >> but will be happy to post a follow up after the bug arrives if
      > > >anyone is
      > > >> interested.
      > > >>
      > > >> Also, Marcelo, you might not even need to slow it down. I think
      > with
      > > >> the standard weight you can go down to about 20 or so wpm. At
      > least
      > > >> with my old Lionel J-36 with the weight out to the end, it goes
      > pretty
      > > >> slow. But the ca. WW-II bearings might also be worn! :-)
      > > >>
      > > >> 73,
      > > >> Mike ab3ap
      > > >>
      > > >> George Osier wrote:
      > > >> > FB Marcelo !!! I have the Vari-Speed and have used it quite a
      > bit
      > > >but my
      > > >> > favorite still is the Extendadot !! If you have never used
      > paddles it
      > > >> > shouldnt take long to get the knack of the bug !!
      > > >> >
      > > >> > Good luck and have fun !!!!
      > > >> >
      > > >> > George , N2JNZ
      > > >> > SKCC 2836T
      > > >> > Vibroplex 100th Anniversary Original here
      > > >> > ----- Original Message -----
      > > >> > From: "n2yhq" <n2yhq@>
      > > >> >> Just ordered a new original deluxe bug with the vari speed to
      > slow it
      > > >> >> down HIHI. Can't wait to get it.
      > > >> >>
      > > >> >> 73
      > > >> >> Marcelo
      > > >>
      > > >
      > >
      >
      >
      >
      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >
    • k4oso
      David, I ve got to differ with you on this. The Blue Racer 2000 does indeed have the jewelled movement......and it says so in the ad. It also shows the
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2 12:46 PM
      • 0 Attachment
        David,
        I've got to differ with you on this. The Blue Racer 2000 does indeed
        have the jewelled movement......and it says so in the ad. It also
        shows the regular jewelled movement with the red decorative jewel on
        top. The 100th, on the other hand, is the standard mainframe, with
        NO mention of jewelled movement. I traded with a buddy for an 100th
        Anniversary model. He bought it and added the jewelled mainframe,
        and paid extra for it. I've got the key, the box and the invoice,
        all of which corroborate this.
        Now.......I'm not saying the standard "look" could not be hiding an
        underlying jewelled movement, but I'm from Missouri on this one.
        73,
        Milt k4oso
        --- In cw_bugs@yahoogroups.com, "David Ring" <n1ea@...> wrote:
        >
        > The "Standard" version of the Anniversary Original Semi-automatic
        > Vibroplex as well as the Millenium 2000 Blue Racer are both Deluxe
        > (jeweled movement) bugs dressed in plain clothes.
        >> >
        >
      • Bill
        ... You won t regret geting a VizBug. I have one and it is the only bug that I have ever been friendly with. Quiet and light - just a pleasure to use. Bill
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2 1:36 PM
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In cw_bugs@yahoogroups.com, hermit <hermit@...> wrote:
          >
          >
          > Hi Milt -
          >
          > Mine is the jeweled version as well. I opted for the black finger
          > pieces.
          >
          > I have been looking hard at the VizKey for quite awhile now. Think
          > maybe I'm gonna have me one of those soon. Hi.
          >
          > 73
          >
          > >Dick,


          You won't regret geting a VizBug. I have one and it is the only bug
          that I have ever been friendly with. Quiet and light - just a
          pleasure to use.

          Bill W2BLC
        • David Ring
          I am half wrong Milt. The Blue Racer 2000 is a deluxe key dressed up in plain clothes. The ONLY difference between the Blue Racer 2000 Standard and the
          Message 4 of 20 , May 2 1:56 PM
          • 0 Attachment
            I am half wrong Milt. The Blue Racer 2000 is a deluxe key dressed up
            in plain clothes. The ONLY difference between the Blue Racer 2000
            "Standard" and the Blue Racer 2000 "Deluxe" is the chrome base rather
            than the blue epoxy painted base. Which is what I said.

            However, you're right on the 100th Anniversary Original - it is indeed
            a standard movement as it has a screw at the top. The WW2 Deluxe keys
            had a screw on the top and also a jeweled movement.

            Before we put this to bed, can someone loosen the screw at the top and
            look at the top of the spindle? Is it rounded (jeweled movement) or
            sharpened to a rounded small point (standard).

            I no longer have a 100th Anniversary Bug here, but I have the Blue
            Racer 2000 - but we both agree on that.

            73

            David N1EA
            =30=



            On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 3:46 AM, k4oso <k4oso@...> wrote:
            > David,
            > I've got to differ with you on this. The Blue Racer 2000 does indeed
            > have the jewelled movement......and it says so in the ad. It also
            > shows the regular jewelled movement with the red decorative jewel on
            > top. The 100th, on the other hand, is the standard mainframe, with
            > NO mention of jewelled movement. I traded with a buddy for an 100th
            > Anniversary model. He bought it and added the jewelled mainframe,
            > and paid extra for it. I've got the key, the box and the invoice,
            > all of which corroborate this.
            > Now.......I'm not saying the standard "look" could not be hiding an
            > underlying jewelled movement, but I'm from Missouri on this one.
            > 73,
            > Milt k4oso
            >
            > --- In cw_bugs@yahoogroups.com, "David Ring" <n1ea@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The "Standard" version of the Anniversary Original Semi-automatic
            > > Vibroplex as well as the Millenium 2000 Blue Racer are both Deluxe
            > > (jeweled movement) bugs dressed in plain clothes.
            > >> >
            > >
          • n2yhq
            ... it ... Update 05/06/08 Yesterday I received the bug and spent a significant amount of time just looking at it!. Seriously, this device is a true
            Message 5 of 20 , May 6 7:20 PM
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In cw_bugs@yahoogroups.com, "n2yhq" <n2yhq@...> wrote:
              >
              > Gang:
              > Just ordered a new original deluxe bug with the vari speed to slow
              it
              > down HIHI. Can't wait to get it.
              >
              > 73
              > Marcelo
              >
              Update 05/06/08

              Yesterday I received the bug and spent a significant amount of time
              just looking at it!. Seriously, this device is a true engineering
              masterpiece. How did I spent 47 yrs of my life without having one?. I
              uploaded its picture under "n2yhq". Now I will have to practice,
              practice and practice.

              73 Marcelo
            • David Ring
              Hello Marcelo, I agree with you - the Vari-Speed was a brilliant invention. It was the idea of the same fellow who invented the FYO paddles which were the
              Message 6 of 20 , May 6 7:49 PM
              • 0 Attachment
                Hello Marcelo,


                I agree with you - the Vari-Speed was a brilliant invention. It was
                the idea of the same fellow who invented the FYO paddles which were
                the predessesor of the Bencher paddles. The invention was Joseph A.
                Hills, W8FYO. The Vari-speed came out in 1954, and the FYO paddles
                came out in 1962, just a few years after Vibroplex launched its
                paddles, the Vibrokeyer.

                Both were brilliant designs. But W8FYO only patented the key design.

                FYO paddle http://www.google.com/patents?id=4BtpAAAAEBAJ&dq=hills+telegraph

                73

                David N1EA





                On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 2:20 AM, n2yhq <n2yhq@...> wrote:
                > --- In cw_bugs@yahoogroups.com, "n2yhq" <n2yhq@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Gang:
                > > Just ordered a new original deluxe bug with the vari speed to slow
                > it
                > > down HIHI. Can't wait to get it.
                > >
                > > 73
                > > Marcelo
                > >
                > Update 05/06/08
                >
                > Yesterday I received the bug and spent a significant amount of time
                > just looking at it!. Seriously, this device is a true engineering
                > masterpiece. How did I spent 47 yrs of my life without having one?. I
                > uploaded its picture under "n2yhq". Now I will have to practice,
                > practice and practice.
                >
                > 73 Marcelo
                >
                >
                > ------------------------------------
              • Mike Markowski
                Jack and everyone, ... It arrived at long last! Ordered April 3rd and showed up by the door just a few minutes ago - about 9 weeks later. Vibroplex had a
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 6, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  Jack and everyone,

                  nzeronv wrote:
                  > Mike:
                  >
                  > Let us know what you think of your new 100th Anniversary Original
                  > after it arrives.
                  >
                  > Jack - N0NV

                  It arrived at long last! Ordered April 3rd and showed up by the door
                  just a few minutes ago - about 9 weeks later. Vibroplex had a back
                  order on 100th Anniv bases and then had to wait on an order of parts for
                  the lever apparently. But it made.

                  By the way, I can safely say that though the 100th Anniv Original is
                  advertised as "seconds only" with warnings that quality might not be
                  100%, I see absolutely no sign of problems. Others have said the same,
                  so if you have $160 to spare it's really a very good deal.

                  The bug has much snappier action than my Lionel J-36 and is also a
                  little noisier. But I can make much more crisp characters than with the
                  J-36. Dinner soon and then I'll have to make my 1st qso on the new bug!

                  73,
                  Mike ab3ap
                • nzeronv
                  FB Mike: That s a major case of delayed gratification. But like you, I saw no problems with the quality of the base. Have fun Mike, Jack - N0NV ... for ...
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 6, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    FB Mike:

                    That's a major case of delayed gratification. But like you, I saw no
                    problems with the quality of the base.

                    Have fun Mike,

                    Jack - N0NV



                    --- In cw_bugs@yahoogroups.com, Mike Markowski <mm@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Jack and everyone,
                    >
                    > nzeronv wrote:
                    > > Mike:
                    > >
                    > > Let us know what you think of your new 100th Anniversary Original
                    > > after it arrives.
                    > >
                    > > Jack - N0NV
                    >
                    > It arrived at long last! Ordered April 3rd and showed up by the door
                    > just a few minutes ago - about 9 weeks later. Vibroplex had a back
                    > order on 100th Anniv bases and then had to wait on an order of parts
                    for
                    > the lever apparently. But it made.
                    >
                    > By the way, I can safely say that though the 100th Anniv Original is
                    > advertised as "seconds only" with warnings that quality might not be
                    > 100%, I see absolutely no sign of problems. Others have said the same,
                    > so if you have $160 to spare it's really a very good deal.
                    >
                    > The bug has much snappier action than my Lionel J-36 and is also a
                    > little noisier. But I can make much more crisp characters than with
                    the
                    > J-36. Dinner soon and then I'll have to make my 1st qso on the new bug!
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Mike ab3ap
                    >
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.