Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [cw_bugs] Bug setup

Expand Messages
  • David Ring
    Bugs used for radiotelegraphy vs bugs used for landline telegraphy were set to aproximately 60% of a VOM meter reading in resistance. If your power is 1500
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      Bugs used for radiotelegraphy vs bugs used for landline telegraphy were set to aproximately 60% of a VOM meter reading in resistance.

      If your power is 1500 watts key down, it will still be 1500 watts on each dot closure - but the dots will give different meter balistic movements different results - but rest assured they are still full power.

      That being said, dots with a dot/space ratio of about 100:60 OR 1.67:1 will give better copy than dots with a 1:1 ratio during radio conditions on typical hf bands.  Or instead of 1.00 to 1 - dots sound better about 1.5 to 1.67 to 1.

      73

      David N1EA

      On 4/9/07, Don <nn8b.oh@...> wrote:

      I just did a little test while adjusting up a Vibroplex Champion.
      When I set up a bug I usually set the dot contact to be closed when
      the lever stops vibrating and also check it with an analog ohmeter so
      the reading on the
      scale is slightly past half way when it is sending dits.

      This is supposed to give a better dit on radio. I never thought about
      how much difference it made until tonight. I noticed this bug's dit
      contact did not close but remailed open when the lever stopped
      vibrating. I adjusted it so it was just closed when it stopped
      vibrating.

      Then when I was watching the wattmeter on my tuner while sending I
      thought I would try setting it both ways and see if it really made a
      difference. With the radio set to a 50 watt output, I set the bug's
      dit contact to be just open and sent a string of dits. the meter
      fluctuated at about 10 watts. The dits sounded OK to my ear. The I
      adjusted the contact to be just closed and sent a string of dits. The
      meter fluctuated at about 20 watts output and still sounded good to
      my ear.

      From this, I would seem to think the stronger dits would do a better
      job especially under bad band conditions.

      73,
      Don, NN8B


    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.