Well, I finally got a "real" bug. I had made one and played with it to learn how to adjust it; but, I never used it on the air. Too unreliable. My brother sent me a Skillman bug. I took it apart and cleaned it up. I was sort of amazed at how badly it was machined. The area that I expected to be the most precise was in the main bearings. It wasn't. 5 ball bearings supporting the points of the spindle. Well that wasn't too bad but the upper and lower races were just milled into threaded shaft and off center to boot. LOL you have to try to adjust the height of the pendulum to get a feel for how screwy that makes the system. Anyway, cleaned of dried grease, 1/4 inch layer of dried smoke and dust, it Works!!! Yay.
Now, I just have to hang that dang antenna.